Semi OT DEC Alpha CDROM and video

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 5:58 PM
      Hi all,

      I am trying to get several DEC alpha systems up and running some AlphaServer 2100's and an Alpha Station 230.

      My systems are either missing or have defective CDROM drives(not all surprising for the age). Is there anything special about the SCSI CDROM drives used by the systems? I have a defective one and it looks to be a bog standard early 90's Toshiba drive.

      Also my Alpha station 230 is missing a video card, it has PCI slots not EISA like the AlphaServer 2100 so I can not snag the video card out of it. Where there any special requirements for that card?

      I plan on running True64 UNIX and Open VMS on these systems.

      Matt

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 6:56 AM
        Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> writes:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I am trying to get several DEC alpha systems up and running some AlphaServe=
        >r 2100's and an Alpha Station 230.
        >
        >My systems are either missing or have defective CDROM drives(not all surpri=
        >sing for the age). Is there anything special about the SCSI CDROM drives us=
        >ed by the systems? I have a defective one and it looks to be a bog standard=
        > early 90's Toshiba drive.

        That'd probably be a DEC RRD45 (Toshiba XM-5401B). Any SCSI CD-ROM might be
        usable but the drive MUST be jumpered for 512 bytes; not for 2048 bytes.

        >Also my Alpha station 230 is missing a video card, it has PCI slots not EIS=

        Maybe an AlphaStation 250???

        >A like the AlphaServer 2100 so I can not snag the video card out of it. Whe=
        >re there any special requirements for that card?=20

        Try an Elsa Gloria. Simple graphics, no frills. There were several Power-
        Storm graphics cards supported but I'd have to find a support matrix to see
        which are supported by both VMS Tru64.

        >I plan on running True64 UNIX and Open VMS on these systems.

        I can help you on the VMS side. I never touched Tru64.