Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: VAX 11/780 on eBay

  • Rich Cini
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1 4:09 PM
      Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

      Rich Cini
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:03 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      >> Could a BIG 120 to 220V transformer power it? Might have to turn everything else in the building off!
      No...

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1 4:12 PM
        On 07/01/2013 07:09 PM, Rich Cini wrote:
        > Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about
        > the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

        The three-phase requirement in the 11/780 is only for load balancing
        with the supplied PDU; that can be gotten around trivially.

        The current requirements, though...don't forget this is a BIG system.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2 10:49 AM
          "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> writes:

          >http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-Digital-Equipment-VAX-11-780-/290939627967?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item43bd5a69bf#shId
          >
          >If I were to bid on this for MARCH, would MARCHkins arrange to and help to
          >pick it up? It's near Niagra Falls.

          You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a
          *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2 11:07 AM
            >> You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

            Doh.

            I'm taking something positive out of this. It has made me think about our long-term planning, re: power requirements. However my short/mid-term focus is 100% on our physical storage.