RE: [midatlanticretro] VAX 11/780 on eBay

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
      Brian,

      Did you get my off-list email about the Digital keyboard? I had an
      internet/email connectivity issue around the time I sent it, so I'm not 100%
      sure it made it out to you...and I know someone here (can't remember who)
      has their email set to reject most domains by default or something like
      that...in case it was you. Anyway...sorry to post here publicly about it,
      just wanted to make sure you got my note.

      Thanks,

      Wesley

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
        Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

        Rich Cini
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:03 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        >> Could a BIG 120 to 220V transformer power it? Might have to turn everything else in the building off!
        No...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
          On 07/01/2013 07:09 PM, Rich Cini wrote:
          > Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about
          > the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

          The three-phase requirement in the 11/780 is only for load balancing
          with the supplied PDU; that can be gotten around trivially.

          The current requirements, though...don't forget this is a BIG system.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
            "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> writes:

            >http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-Digital-Equipment-VAX-11-780-/290939627967?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item43bd5a69bf#shId
            >
            >If I were to bid on this for MARCH, would MARCHkins arrange to and help to
            >pick it up? It's near Niagra Falls.

            You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a
            *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
              >> You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

              Doh.

              I'm taking something positive out of this. It has made me think about our long-term planning, re: power requirements. However my short/mid-term focus is 100% on our physical storage.