Re: VAX 11/780 on eBay

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013

      > >> If I were to bid on this for MARCH
      >
      > That would be extremely appreciated!!
      >
      > >> I would be prepared to help 1) transport it
      >
      > MARCH would certainly pay at least part of the truck cost, and I'd be glad to travel (within reason) to personally assist.

      Depending on the day of Pickup, I could drive down from Toronto to help dis-assemble & load it.

      > >> Would MARCH be able to put it in the viewing area and power it on occasionally?
      >
      > We would definitely put it on public display. For example, for a machine this nice, we'd probably move the Burroughs B-80 and the 11/20 into storage, in order to make space in the museum exhibit.
      >
      > Power -- that depends -- there is only 110V in the exhibit rooms. I asked InfoAge management for permission to have an electrician run 220 and was declined. :(

      Could a BIG 120 to 220V transformer power it? Might have to turn everything else in the building off! And turn it off over night, or else the local authorities might think you're running a grow-op.

      :)J
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
        >> Could a BIG 120 to 220V transformer power it? Might have to turn everything else in the building off!
        No...
      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
          Brian,

          Did you get my off-list email about the Digital keyboard? I had an
          internet/email connectivity issue around the time I sent it, so I'm not 100%
          sure it made it out to you...and I know someone here (can't remember who)
          has their email set to reject most domains by default or something like
          that...in case it was you. Anyway...sorry to post here publicly about it,
          just wanted to make sure you got my note.

          Thanks,

          Wesley

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
            Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

            Rich Cini
            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
              On 07/01/2013 07:09 PM, Rich Cini wrote:
              > Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about
              > the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

              The three-phase requirement in the 11/780 is only for load balancing
              with the supplied PDU; that can be gotten around trivially.

              The current requirements, though...don't forget this is a BIG system.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
                "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> writes:

                >http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-Digital-Equipment-VAX-11-780-/290939627967?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item43bd5a69bf#shId
                >
                >If I were to bid on this for MARCH, would MARCHkins arrange to and help to
                >pick it up? It's near Niagra Falls.

                You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a
                *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
                  >> You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

                  Doh.

                  I'm taking something positive out of this. It has made me think about our long-term planning, re: power requirements. However my short/mid-term focus is 100% on our physical storage.