Re: [midatlanticretro] VAX 780 vs. 750

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
      On 07/01/2013 03:14 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>> FYI, Evan, you'll need 208V 3-phase for the 11/780
      >
      > Then we have no way to run it ... yet. :(
      >
      > It's possible that InfoAge's big temporary generator could make
      > 3-phase. I do not know. I'll have to ask Fred/Steve and get oodles of
      > permission.

      I would not attempt that. No matter how "good" a temporary generator
      is, they are still much riskier than permanently-wired "utility" power
      in terms of power quality, harmonic distortion, frequency stability,
      etc. I would not EVER risk a machine like an 11/780 on temporary power.
      Ever. I strongly advise against attempting it until your primary
      utility power is restored.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
        If there's room for one more, I have been thinking about putting my 11/750 on my small trailer and bringing it down to the August workshop. Might be useful to have two machines side by side to work on - and mine's mostly functional at this point (at least it was earlier this year).

        I have cables and odds and ends set up to boot the TU58 diagnostic tape images off my laptop if we get to that point, plus an RDM board for diagnostics.

        -Dave (C).

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
          On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, David Comley wrote:

          > If there's room for one more, I have been thinking about putting my 11/750 on my small trailer and bringing it down to the August workshop. Might be useful to have two machines side by side to work on - and mine's mostly functional at this point (at least it was earlier this year).

          I'm gonna need to get out to the August workshop if that's gonna happen!

          --
          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net Personal stuff
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
            I expect I can have an OS disk and controller pre-loaded and ready to go for any VAX-11/750 that show up. This is all thanks to the beauty of the SIMH VAX simulator.

            I build it on the simulator (runs _really_ fast), and then I just dump the finished bits onto a physical disk when done. That's what I did for both my PDP-11 and MicroVAX recently.

            So don't sweat the software part, let's focus on getting the hardware working.

            - Matthew

          • David Comley
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013