Re: [midatlanticretro] VAX 780 vs. 750

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
      >> FYI, Evan, you'll need 208V 3-phase for the 11/780

      Then we have no way to run it ... yet. :(

      It's possible that InfoAge's big temporary generator could make 3-phase. I do not know. I'll have to ask Fred/Steve and get oodles of permission.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
        On 07/01/2013 03:14 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        >>> FYI, Evan, you'll need 208V 3-phase for the 11/780
        >
        > Then we have no way to run it ... yet. :(
        >
        > It's possible that InfoAge's big temporary generator could make
        > 3-phase. I do not know. I'll have to ask Fred/Steve and get oodles of
        > permission.

        I would not attempt that. No matter how "good" a temporary generator
        is, they are still much riskier than permanently-wired "utility" power
        in terms of power quality, harmonic distortion, frequency stability,
        etc. I would not EVER risk a machine like an 11/780 on temporary power.
        Ever. I strongly advise against attempting it until your primary
        utility power is restored.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
          If there's room for one more, I have been thinking about putting my 11/750 on my small trailer and bringing it down to the August workshop. Might be useful to have two machines side by side to work on - and mine's mostly functional at this point (at least it was earlier this year).

          I have cables and odds and ends set up to boot the TU58 diagnostic tape images off my laptop if we get to that point, plus an RDM board for diagnostics.

          -Dave (C).

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
            On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, David Comley wrote:

            > If there's room for one more, I have been thinking about putting my 11/750 on my small trailer and bringing it down to the August workshop. Might be useful to have two machines side by side to work on - and mine's mostly functional at this point (at least it was earlier this year).

            I'm gonna need to get out to the August workshop if that's gonna happen!

            --
            Cory Smelosky
            http://gewt.net Personal stuff
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
              I expect I can have an OS disk and controller pre-loaded and ready to go for any VAX-11/750 that show up. This is all thanks to the beauty of the SIMH VAX simulator.

              I build it on the simulator (runs _really_ fast), and then I just dump the finished bits onto a physical disk when done. That's what I did for both my PDP-11 and MicroVAX recently.

              So don't sweat the software part, let's focus on getting the hardware working.

              - Matthew

            • David Comley
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013