Re: [midatlanticretro] VAX 11/780 on eBay

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
      David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

      >On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
      >
      >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-Digital-Equipment-VAX-11-780-/290939627967?pt=
      >=3DUS_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=3Ditem43bd5a69bf#shId
      >>=20
      >> If I were to bid on this for MARCH, would MARCHkins arrange to and help t=
      >> pick it up? It's near Niagra Falls.
      >
      >Oh, that would be MARVELOUS. I can't volunteer to go pick it up (too many =
      >responsibilities of my own ATM), but that would be a spectacular addition t=
      >o the museum.

      There are a few days to go. If there's more of a "commitment", I'll put the
      money down on it. It's a long trek. I'd figure a day going; a day return.
      It might take a day to load it and it may need to be disassembled for move.

      >If I can make it to the workshop in August (still trying to see), I'm reall=
      >y excited about working on the 11/750.

      These events always fall on bad days. There's a concert event at Susquehanna
      Bank Center on the 3rd (YEStival) that I've tickets to attend. I have to be
      on-site in the middle of PA (Mountoursvile and State College) the following
      week. I may be able to drop in on Sunday (4th), though, to lend a hand with
      the 11/750.

    • tedheadster
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
        I would be prepared to help 1) transport it and 2) get the software going on it. I'm in the process of purchasing a SCSI disk controller that would work on it using modern disks.

        Would MARCH be able to put it in the viewing area and power it on occasionally?

        - Matthew

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
            >> If I were to bid on this for MARCH

            That would be extremely appreciated!!

            >> I would be prepared to help 1) transport it

            MARCH would certainly pay at least part of the truck cost, and I'd be glad to travel (within reason) to personally assist.

            >> Would MARCH be able to put it in the viewing area and power it on occasionally?

            We would definitely put it on public display. For example, for a machine this nice, we'd probably move the Burroughs B-80 and the 11/20 into storage, in order to make space in the museum exhibit.

            Power -- that depends -- there is only 110V in the exhibit rooms. I asked InfoAge management for permission to have an electrician run 220 and was declined. :(
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013

              > >> If I were to bid on this for MARCH
              >
              > That would be extremely appreciated!!
              >
              > >> I would be prepared to help 1) transport it
              >
              > MARCH would certainly pay at least part of the truck cost, and I'd be glad to travel (within reason) to personally assist.

              Depending on the day of Pickup, I could drive down from Toronto to help dis-assemble & load it.

              > >> Would MARCH be able to put it in the viewing area and power it on occasionally?
              >
              > We would definitely put it on public display. For example, for a machine this nice, we'd probably move the Burroughs B-80 and the 11/20 into storage, in order to make space in the museum exhibit.
              >
              > Power -- that depends -- there is only 110V in the exhibit rooms. I asked InfoAge management for permission to have an electrician run 220 and was declined. :(

              Could a BIG 120 to 220V transformer power it? Might have to turn everything else in the building off! And turn it off over night, or else the local authorities might think you're running a grow-op.

              :)J
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                >> Could a BIG 120 to 220V transformer power it? Might have to turn everything else in the building off!
                No...
              • Wesley Furr
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                  Brian,

                  Did you get my off-list email about the Digital keyboard? I had an
                  internet/email connectivity issue around the time I sent it, so I'm not 100%
                  sure it made it out to you...and I know someone here (can't remember who)
                  has their email set to reject most domains by default or something like
                  that...in case it was you. Anyway...sorry to post here publicly about it,
                  just wanted to make sure you got my note.

                  Thanks,

                  Wesley

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                    Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

                    Rich Cini
                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                      On 07/01/2013 07:09 PM, Rich Cini wrote:
                      > Out of curiosity I looked at the install doc. I don't know much about
                      > the VAX but I read it as 208v 3ph 20a...at a minimum.

                      The three-phase requirement in the 11/780 is only for load balancing
                      with the supplied PDU; that can be gotten around trivially.

                      The current requirements, though...don't forget this is a BIG system.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
                        "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> writes:

                        >http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-Digital-Equipment-VAX-11-780-/290939627967?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item43bd5a69bf#shId
                        >
                        >If I were to bid on this for MARCH, would MARCHkins arrange to and help to
                        >pick it up? It's near Niagra Falls.

                        You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a
                        *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
                          >> You snooze; you lose. Received a message from seller that he received a *VERY* generous offer from a collector and the auction was withdrawn. :(

                          Doh.

                          I'm taking something positive out of this. It has made me think about our long-term planning, re: power requirements. However my short/mid-term focus is 100% on our physical storage.