Re: [midatlanticretro] Museum report

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 140 , Jun 30, 2013
      All --

      Today I drove down to InfoAge to see Evan, JeffJ and JeffB and drop off the iCOM disk system for the IMSAI display, in addition to some disks, a few boxes of magazines, and a load of C64 software, some still in boxes. It's been a few years (well, more than a literal few) since I've been at InfoAge and wow, it's changed a lot. I really like what the contributing visitors have done with the space. I like the exhibit rooms and how they're laid out. You can tell how much hard work has been invested into it.

      I also stopped by three other exhibits — I really liked the Electronic Warfare exhibit as well as the diorama room. I walked through the Radio Technology exhibit. The tube tester reminded me of the one long ago at the Radio Shack near my parent's house. The Shipwreck Museum was nicely done although not really my area of interest.

      The random things laying around were pretty neat, too…like the portable radar set between the exhibit hall and the H-Building for example. I also liked the huge rectifier diodes (just a guess based on the symbols on them) flanking the doorway.

      Walking some of the halls you just kind of imagined the activity during the War….and the place lasted until 1993. I often wonder what it would be like to wander the shuttered halls of other places like that and hear stories — Grumman Bethpage is near me, for example (my father worked there during the moon missions before he worked for NY Telephone. Most of it has been repurposed as a movie studio.)

      I just kind of wished I lived closer and could visit more regularly — there are so many projects that need to get done and so much opportunity for the space and to tell the story of computing.

      Anyway, great day at InfoAge.

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

      From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
      Date: Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:15 PM
      To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Museum report

      Busy day!

      Jeff J. and I drove down together. Rich C. visited and brought us a dual 8" iCom drive system for the IMSAI display along with some magazines and software (he'll send a separate email about his visit soon.) We put the drive system immediately on display.

      Soon after Rich left, Ian arrived to pick up some things and to help around the warehouse -- but first we took a lunch break.

      After lunch, we had a surprise visit from Mouse! Then we all moved some things around to create a little more space.

      Ian and Mouse left; Jeff B. finished up some sorting/organizing; and Jeff J. and I went to pick up a few boxes of books etc. from a woman who visited recently.

      As I write this, Jeff J. and I are heading back to the museum with the small rescue. We'll be there for another 30-60 minutes and then we will call it a day.

    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 140 of 140 , Sep 2 2:08 PM
        About a dozen visitors today. All with polite interest. Still working on preparing disks for Commodore 64 and Atari 800XL computers.