the earliest of the 8" floppies

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2013
      Google finds web pages explaining the first 8" floppy disks ("diskettes") and drives from IBM, then the commercial ones.

      I think I need to clarify what disks came first. Hard sectored before soft sectored? How many sectors? Who were the first manufacturers?

      The reason I ask: I just found one 8-inch single sided 32 sector diskette. The label said "Maxell FH1 32" but under that's a Shugart Associates "SA103 diskette" label. I need to know if that's the oldest floppy around, or if MARCH or MARCH members have older ones.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2013
        > Google finds web pages explaining the first 8" floppy disks ("diskettes")
        and drives from IBM, then the commercial ones.

        > I think I need to clarify what disks came first. Hard sectored before
        soft sectored? How many sectors? Who were the first manufacturers?

        > The reason I ask: I just found one 8-inch single sided 32 sector
        diskette. The label said "Maxell FH1 32" but under that's a Shugart
        Associates "SA103 diskette" label. I need to know if that's the oldest
        floppy around, or if MARCH or MARCH members have older ones.

        I often refer to this doc
        http://vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/Kilobaud%20March%201977%20Floppy%20Disks%
        20...%20What%27s%20the%20Real%20Story.pdf