ADM-3A Power Transformer Wanted

  • equalizer700
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
      I just got an ADM-3A off eBay. it looks to be in super great shape except for one thing: it's 230 Volt. The eBay seller misrepresented the item so it can be returned, but it is in such good shape I'd like to replace the transformer with a US version. In the meantime I'll try a 110-230V step-up transformer. There is a 50-60 Hz switch so that should be no problem.

      The original 110V transformer part number is 129458-3. It has 3 windings: 9.4V used for +5, 31V used for +/-12 and 20.5V used for +15. I can't find any current ratings.

      Anyone got a scrap ADM-3A for parts? Other ideas?
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2013
        > I just got an ADM-3A off eBay. ... Anyone got a scrap ADM-3A for parts? Other ideas?

        Welcome to our group. I'm sure someone here will offer helpful advice.

        Please introduce yourself. How did you find out about us; what's your
        background in computers; name; location; etc.
      • Kyle Owen
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2013
          On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM, equalizer700 <equalizer700@...> wrote:

          I just got an ADM-3A off eBay. it looks to be in super great shape except for one thing: it's 230 Volt. The eBay seller misrepresented the item so it can be returned, but it is in such good shape I'd like to replace the transformer with a US version. In the meantime I'll try a 110-230V step-up transformer. There is a 50-60 Hz switch so that should be no problem.

          The original 110V transformer part number is 129458-3. It has 3 windings: 9.4V used for +5, 31V used for +/-12 and 20.5V used for +15. I can't find any current ratings.

          Anyone got a scrap ADM-3A for parts? Other ideas?

          I believe I have the transformer you're looking for. Give me a week to get it (it's at my other residence) and I'll report back.

          Kyle
        • equalizer700
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
            Hi. Just joined the group. I originally found it by searching around looking for info on 8 inch disk drives and have been lurking since. I live in New Hampshire but am originally from the mid-atlantic (DC, MD, WV) so I guess I qualify :-). I am a very old programmer, having started in the IBM 1401 days. In 1975 I hand-built an Altair 8800 that was used in my business from the late 70's until the early 80's. Using the Altair we invented connecting microcomputers to IBM mainframes emulating IBM devices. We connected an Altair to a mainframe using bisync and the protocol for the IBM 3780, which was a remote card reader and printer. We went on to do 3270 both bisync and sdlc, then direct coax connections for 3270 and 5250 and the PC bus. Today I'm still programming, mostly in ASP.NET MVC.

            My interest is in getting my Altair running CP/M as it was in the early 80's. It has a Tarbell SSSD controller and Persci 8" model 270 disk in a Vector Graphic Dual-Stor cabinet (the green one). I have the Tarbell manual, but haven't been able to find any docs on the Persci disk.

            I originally started this project in 2009, then got really sick and let it sit. I'm nearly well now, so you can expect to see more activity coming from this way. I'm happy to help out the group any way I can.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
              >> I am a very old programmer

              You'll fit in. :)
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
                On 06/29/2013 10:42 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >>> I am a very old programmer
                >
                > You'll fit in. :)

                Are you saying we're OLD? (sonny?)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
                  Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                  >>> I am a very old programmer
                  >
                  >You'll fit in. :)

                  Can you do 1702's? Get it...?
                  --
                  Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
                    On Sat, 29 Jun 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    >>> I am a very old programmer
                    >
                    > You'll fit in. :)

                    Eh, speak up sonny!

                    Got my start on an IBM 360/67 in 1970.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • equalizer700
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 29, 2013
                      Kyle that is fantastic! Thank you so much for looking! I have lots I would consider trading: Peripheral Vision Dual 8 inch floppy drive cabinet with one 8 inch drive, Peripheral Vision PV1001 S-100 disc control board, no docs, has two sets of top edge contacts for connecting drives. MITS 88-VI RTC Bare Board, unpopulated, with a few components. S-100 Wire Wrap Board with 31 wire wrap sockets, partially wired. Large populated NON-S-100 wire wrap board, designed to interface microcomputer to IBM system controller as a terminal via high-speed coax cable. With 8X305 processor. 8X305 ICEPack with board for Intel MDS-80 system, software and original manuals. MITS 4K RAM Board 88-4MCD (Rev 2) with original manual. Cromemco Cyclops Camera controller 88-CCC Boards 1 and 2. (Rev 1) No camera.

                      But since I'm a hoarder, I prefer to trade cash :-). You've got me drooling...please make me an offer LOL

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "equalizer700" <equalizer700@...> wrote:

                      > I just got an ADM-3A off eBay. it looks to be in super great shape except for one thing: it's 230 Volt. The eBay seller misrepresented the item so it can be returned, but it is in such good shape I'd like to replace the transformer with a US version. In the meantime I'll try a 110-230V step-up transformer. There is a 50-60 Hz switch so that should be no problem.
                      >
                      > The original 110V transformer part number is 129458-3. It has 3 windings: 9.4V used for +5, 31V used for +/-12 and 20.5V used for +15. I can't find any current ratings.
                      >
                      > Anyone got a scrap ADM-3A for parts? Other ideas?

                    • DougCrawford
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013

                        > > You'll fit in. :)
                        >
                        > Are you saying we're OLD? (sonny?)
                        >
                        > -Dave
                        >
                        > --
                        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        > New Kensington, PA

                        Hey Mr. McGuire, just because you look 1/2 your age...
                        (sneering as if to say 'you stinker')
                      • DougCrawford
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013

                          > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM, equalizer700 <equalizer700@...>wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > I just got an ADM-3A off eBay. it looks to be in super great shape except
                          > > for one thing: it's 230 Volt. The eBay seller misrepresented the item so it
                          > > can be returned, but it is in such good shape I'd like to replace the
                          > > transformer with a US version. In the meantime I'll try a 110-230V step-up
                          > > transformer. There is a 50-60 Hz switch so that should be no problem.
                          > >
                          > > The original 110V transformer part number is 129458-3. It has 3 windings:
                          > > 9.4V used for +5, 31V used for +/-12 and 20.5V used for +15. I can't find
                          > > any current ratings.
                          > >
                          > > Anyone got a scrap ADM-3A for parts? Other ideas?
                          > >

                          > I believe I have the transformer you're looking for. Give me a week to get
                          > it (it's at my other residence) and I'll report back.
                          >
                          > Kyle

                          Now that's the kind of thing I like to see!
                          Hope it works out Equalizer700 & welcome to MARCH.
                          -DC
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 30, 2013
                            On 06/30/2013 10:36 AM, DougCrawford wrote:

                            >>> You'll fit in. :)
                            >>
                            >> Are you saying we're OLD? (sonny?)
                            >
                            > Hey Mr. McGuire, just because you look 1/2 your age...

                            That's how I got Autumn, who is 14 years my junior! The surgery was
                            worth it. ;)

                            > (sneering as if to say 'you stinker')

                            Indeed, but I don't take it for granted. My whole family is like
                            that. My mother is in her sixties, and she could pass for 30! I'm 44,
                            and I still regularly get carded when I request fire water at a
                            restaurant. Life is good. :)

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ