Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World

  • Bob Schwier
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
      I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
      as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
      the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
      the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
      fundamentals.
      bs

      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

      wrote:

> [...]
      local Teen mentioned in Evan's

      introduce myself and I am very

      the events and learning about

      >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!

      >> At least it's not a pidogeek!

      >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working
      on a '60 Monroe

      >calculator on the dining room table..

      At Paedogeek!

      Paedo - combining form

      indicating a child or children

      Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or
      non-mainstream people,

      with different connotations ranging from "a computer
      expert or

      enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a
      hobby", with a

      general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise
      dislikable

      person, especially one who is perceived to be overly
      intellectual."

      I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

      --

      VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

    • ron_eb2000
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2014
        Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
        actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
        equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
        That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
        PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
        (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
        clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
        can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
        I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
        move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
        will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
        sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
        the fields.  gotta love it...

        RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...