Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013

      > > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      > >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
      > >
      > > Paedogeek! Welcome!
      >
      > At least it's not a pidogeek!

      What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
      calculator on the dining room table..
      bd
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
        "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

        >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!
        >>
        >> At least it's not a pidogeek!
        >>

        >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
        >calculator on the dining room table..

        At Paedogeek!

        Paedo - combining form
        indicating a child or children

        Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people,
        with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or
        enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a
        general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable
        person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual."

        I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
          I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
          as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
          the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
          the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
          fundamentals.
          bs

          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

          --

          VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
          VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

        • ron_eb2000
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2014
            Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
            actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
            equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
            That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
            PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
            (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
            clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
            can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
            I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
            move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
            will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
            sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
            the fields.  gotta love it...

            RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...