re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
      -------- Original Message --------

      for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to
      get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.

      Welcome. You can learn about our events schedule and visit some of our
      members' projects from their web sites from midatlanticretro.org.

      It's great to have someone local to the museum. Most members are spread
      out over the Mid-Atlantic. We're talking about getting together in August,
      but the date is not set yet.

      What is your interest in vintage computing? Do you have any machines you'd
      like to work on or are you more of a software hobbyist?

      Bill "billdeg"
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
        On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

        > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
        >
        >> On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
        >>> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
        >>> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
        >>> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
        >>> retro computing.
        >>
        >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
        >
        > Paedogeek! Welcome!

        At least it's not a pidogeek!

        --
        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013

          > > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          > >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
          > >
          > > Paedogeek! Welcome!
          >
          > At least it's not a pidogeek!

          What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
          calculator on the dining room table..
          bd
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
            "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

            >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!
            >>
            >> At least it's not a pidogeek!
            >>

            >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
            >calculator on the dining room table..

            At Paedogeek!

            Paedo - combining form
            indicating a child or children

            Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people,
            with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or
            enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a
            general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable
            person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual."

            I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
              I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
              as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
              the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
              the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
              fundamentals.
              bs

              Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

              wrote:

              local Teen mentioned in Evan's

              introduce myself and I am very

              the events and learning about

              >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!

              >> At least it's not a pidogeek!

              >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working
              on a '60 Monroe

              >calculator on the dining room table..

              At Paedogeek!

              Paedo - combining form

              indicating a child or children

              Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or
              non-mainstream people,

              with different connotations ranging from "a computer
              expert or

              enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a
              hobby", with a

              general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise
              dislikable

              person, especially one who is perceived to be overly
              intellectual."

              I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

              --

              VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
              VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

            • ron_eb2000
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3 8:28 AM
                Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
                actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
                equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
                That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
                PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
                (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
                clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
                can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
                I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
                move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
                will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
                sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
                the fields.  gotta love it...

                RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...