Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
      >> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
      >> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
      >> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
      >> retro computing.
      >
      > New-blood geeks! Welcome!

      Paedogeek! Welcome!

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
          On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

          > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
          >
          >> On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
          >>> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
          >>> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
          >>> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
          >>> retro computing.
          >>
          >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
          >
          > Paedogeek! Welcome!

          At least it's not a pidogeek!

          --
          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net Personal stuff
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013

            > > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            > >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
            > >
            > > Paedogeek! Welcome!
            >
            > At least it's not a pidogeek!

            What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
            calculator on the dining room table..
            bd
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
              "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

              >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!
              >>
              >> At least it's not a pidogeek!
              >>

              >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
              >calculator on the dining room table..

              At Paedogeek!

              Paedo - combining form
              indicating a child or children

              Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people,
              with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or
              enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a
              general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable
              person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual."

              I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
                as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
                the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
                the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
                fundamentals.
                bs

                Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

                wrote:

                local Teen mentioned in Evan's

                introduce myself and I am very

                the events and learning about

                >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                >> At least it's not a pidogeek!

                >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working
                on a '60 Monroe

                >calculator on the dining room table..

                At Paedogeek!

                Paedo - combining form

                indicating a child or children

                Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or
                non-mainstream people,

                with different connotations ranging from "a computer
                expert or

                enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a
                hobby", with a

                general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise
                dislikable

                person, especially one who is perceived to be overly
                intellectual."

                I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                --

                VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
                VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

              • ron_eb2000
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2014
                  Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
                  actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
                  equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
                  That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
                  PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
                  (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
                  clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
                  can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
                  I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
                  move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
                  will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
                  sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
                  the fields.  gotta love it...

                  RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...