Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 23 7:26 PM
      On Sun, 24 Jun 2013, deestroyer39 wrote:

      > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.

      Welcome aboard!

      Any place in particular you want to get started? Any company's gear
      you're fond of? ;)

      --
      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net Personal stuff
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 23 8:33 PM
        On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
        > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
        > Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
        > excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
        > retro computing.

        New-blood geeks! Welcome!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 24 4:25 AM
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          >On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
          >> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
          >> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
          >> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
          >> retro computing.
          >
          > New-blood geeks! Welcome!

          Paedogeek! Welcome!

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 24 5:36 AM
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 24 10:21 AM
              On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

              > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
              >
              >> On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
              >>> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
              >>> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
              >>> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
              >>> retro computing.
              >>
              >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
              >
              > Paedogeek! Welcome!

              At least it's not a pidogeek!

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 24 11:44 AM

                > > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                > >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
                > >
                > > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                >
                > At least it's not a pidogeek!

                What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                calculator on the dining room table..
                bd
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 24 1:28 PM
                  "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                  >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                  >>
                  >> At least it's not a pidogeek!
                  >>

                  >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                  >calculator on the dining room table..

                  At Paedogeek!

                  Paedo - combining form
                  indicating a child or children

                  Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people,
                  with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or
                  enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a
                  general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable
                  person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual."

                  I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                • Bob Schwier
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 24 1:44 PM
                    I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
                    as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
                    the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
                    the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
                    fundamentals.
                    bs

                    Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
                    To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

                    wrote:

                    local Teen mentioned in Evan's

                    introduce myself and I am very

                    the events and learning about

                    >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                    >> At least it's not a pidogeek!

                    >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working
                    on a '60 Monroe

                    >calculator on the dining room table..

                    At Paedogeek!

                    Paedo - combining form

                    indicating a child or children

                    Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or
                    non-mainstream people,

                    with different connotations ranging from "a computer
                    expert or

                    enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a
                    hobby", with a

                    general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise
                    dislikable

                    person, especially one who is perceived to be overly
                    intellectual."

                    I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                    --

                    VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
                    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

                  • ron_eb2000
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3, 2014
                      Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
                      actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
                      equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
                      That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
                      PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
                      (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
                      clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
                      can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
                      I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
                      move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
                      will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
                      sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
                      the fields.  gotta love it...

                      RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...