Hello World

  • deestroyer39
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
        On Sun, 24 Jun 2013, deestroyer39 wrote:

        > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.

        Welcome aboard!

        Any place in particular you want to get started? Any company's gear
        you're fond of? ;)

        --
        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
          On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
          > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
          > Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
          > excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
          > retro computing.

          New-blood geeks! Welcome!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            >On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
            >> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
            >> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
            >> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
            >> retro computing.
            >
            > New-blood geeks! Welcome!

            Paedogeek! Welcome!

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                >
                >> On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
                >>> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
                >>> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
                >>> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
                >>> retro computing.
                >>
                >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
                >
                > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                At least it's not a pidogeek!

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013

                  > > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                  > >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
                  > >
                  > > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                  >
                  > At least it's not a pidogeek!

                  What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                  calculator on the dining room table..
                  bd
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                    "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                    >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                    >>
                    >> At least it's not a pidogeek!
                    >>

                    >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                    >calculator on the dining room table..

                    At Paedogeek!

                    Paedo - combining form
                    indicating a child or children

                    Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people,
                    with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or
                    enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a
                    general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable
                    person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual."

                    I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                  • Bob Schwier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                      I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
                      as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
                      the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
                      the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
                      fundamentals.
                      bs

                      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
                      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

                      wrote:

                      local Teen mentioned in Evan's

                      introduce myself and I am very

                      the events and learning about

                      >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                      >> At least it's not a pidogeek!

                      >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working
                      on a '60 Monroe

                      >calculator on the dining room table..

                      At Paedogeek!

                      Paedo - combining form

                      indicating a child or children

                      Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or
                      non-mainstream people,

                      with different connotations ranging from "a computer
                      expert or

                      enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a
                      hobby", with a

                      general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise
                      dislikable

                      person, especially one who is perceived to be overly
                      intellectual."

                      I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                      --

                      VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
                      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

                    • ron_eb2000
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 3, 2014
                        Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
                        actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
                        equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
                        That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
                        PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
                        (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
                        clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
                        can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
                        I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
                        move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
                        will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
                        sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
                        the fields.  gotta love it...

                        RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...