A great TCF!

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2006
      Hi all,

      I got home about an hour ago from the Trenton show.

      Despite the rain, our club had a very successful show. Our booth was in the
      back of the main exhibit floor, which is what we wanted, not stuck off in a
      side room. Our booth had constant traffic throughout both days, even at the
      end of today.

      Andy, Bryan Pope, and myself were there both days. Jim Scheef and John
      Allain helped yesterday, and Bob Grieb and Bob Applebee visited yesterday as
      well. Frank O' and Herb Johnson hung around as well. John completed a
      special mission for us, successful obtaining a TV in the outdoor flea market
      for use with my Atari console, which drew many extra people to our booth.

      Most people walked by our booth, did a double-take, and then their draws
      dropped -- "Wow, I had a (fill in the blank)...!" -- it soon because an
      entertaining and predicatable pattern. With each attendee, first we chatted
      up the hobby for a few minutes, and then we hit them with "If you think this
      is cool, take this flyer, we're having a whole show of just antique
      computers next month." Most people seemed VERY eager and thankful for this
      information, and several people offered to donate equipment to us.

      We distributed about 450 flyers for VCF and about 200 for the club in
      general. Many people promised to share the news with their friends /
      colleagues / user groups. I also gave a talk both days which was just an
      introduction to collecting. About 20 people attended Saturday and 7 or 8
      attended today.

      As with last year, this show was fun on a social level too. We had good
      neighbors on the exhibit floor -- Saturday the NJARC guys were in the booth
      behind us, most of whom we already knew from InfoAge, and today they were
      replaced by a Linux user group. Last night I went to dinner with Andy,
      Bryan, and Herb. Today, Bryan went out at lunchtime and brought back a
      pizza, so we were able to eat without ditching our booth or falling victim
      to the TCF-provided food (worst. pretzels. ever.) Then we went to a diner
      before going home.

      Also, Bill rescued a PDP-11 in the flea market, but you already know that
      from his recent messages.

      Jim attempted to rescue an Alpha server, but failed to conjure the necessary
      funds or transportation. :)

      Next stop: we're 100% focused on the VCF! InfoAge is hosting an event for
      the historic diving / shipwrecks club the weekend before our event, which
      means next weekend (April 29/30) is the last chance for we volunteers to
      make the main InfoAge building look presentable for VCF. My suggestion:
      everyone vote for which day they prefer to work, and then we'll tell Fred,
      who will give us a laundry list of projects that need help. As always,
      whatever we do at InfoAge overall benefits us as a club, and vice-versa.

      - Evan
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2006
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I got home about an hour ago from the Trenton show.
        >
        > Despite the rain, our club had a very successful show. Our booth was in the
        > back of the main exhibit floor, which is what we wanted, not stuck off in a
        > side room. Our booth had constant traffic throughout both days, even at the
        > end of today.

        The show was a lot of fun too... !! :)

        > Most people walked by our booth, did a double-take, and then their draws
        > dropped -- "Wow, I had a (fill in the blank)...!" -- it soon because an
        > entertaining and predicatable pattern. With each attendee, first we chatted
        > up the hobby for a few minutes, and then we hit them with "If you think this
        > is cool, take this flyer, we're having a whole show of just antique
        > computers next month." Most people seemed VERY eager and thankful for this
        > information, and several people offered to donate equipment to us.

        There was also a lot of touching and feeling of the hardware...

        > Next stop: we're 100% focused on the VCF! InfoAge is hosting an event for
        > the historic diving / shipwrecks club the weekend before our event, which
        > means next weekend (April 29/30) is the last chance for we volunteers to
        > make the main InfoAge building look presentable for VCF. My suggestion:
        > everyone vote for which day they prefer to work, and then we'll tell Fred,
        > who will give us a laundry list of projects that need help. As always,
        > whatever we do at InfoAge overall benefits us as a club, and vice-versa.

        I vote for Saturday so I could relax Sunday before going back to work
        Monday. What is the approximate start time?

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2006
          Usually in the late morning -- 10 or 11-ish.