Re: Ok historians. When was the intel hex format introduced...

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

      > I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
      > 029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
      > BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
      > the ePROM.

      "MCS-8 Microcomputer Set, 8008 8-bit Parallel Central Processor Unit, User's Manual" - Nov 1973 rev 4 2nd printing

      All references are to BNPF format, none to any hex format, for paper tapes for either software or PROMs. That's likely what Bill is referring to above. Bill's n's are either P for a high or N for a low, what we would call today 1 and 0 respectively.

      from the "Intellec 8/MOD 80 Operator's Manual - preliminary edition" - June 1974

      Appendix D- - Hexadecimal program tape format - quote-

      The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system is a modified memory image, blocked into discrete records. Each record contains record length, record type, memory address, and check sum information in addition to data. A frame by frame description is as
      follows: - end quote

      the description is the Intel Hex Record format of
      :NNAAAATTDDDDDD...CC as described elsewhere. ROM monitor commands are described elsewhere in the manual, to read or write either BNPF or "hexadecimal format" paper tapes.

      I may have more to say about this on my Web site in the future.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

        > The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system...

        Specifically the Intellec 8/MOD 80 system. That's the Intellec 8008 system modified to an 8080 CPU and 8080-based ROM monitor. The manual says zero about 8008's.

        Herb
      • DougCrawford
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 30, 2013

          > My instinct is that early 8008/8080 used the motorola S format tapes in
          > homebrew environments, while Intel was switching over to their own Intel
          > Hex format tapes to replace the punchcard format they had been using. They
          > probably could not use the motorola format for legal reasons, but they
          > probably wanted to.
          > bd

          I was thinking it might be tied to the Intellec development also.
          I sure wish Gary Kildall was still around; I'm sure he could have told us, as I just read he was working with Intel as they developed
          the 4004 on forward.