Re: [midatlanticretro] TASM for 6800 assembly

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2013
      On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      Dan

      Thank you very much.  Now I understand.  I thought TASM was the go-to assembler for any processor, I see at least for 6800’s  it’s simply easier to use something more MIKBUG compatible, and now I understand why things are the way they are.  I only know the coding part, how to read the instructions themselves.

      6800 itself is pretty easy to work with, a good language to learn assembly.  I am making a primitive monitor extension for SWTBUG to make it easier to load and run TSC BASIC on eProm by storing it in C100 and moving to 0100.  I also want to put in a simple memory dump array program.  This way, when I am using a teletype I only have to load and save BASIC programs themselves, not wait 25 minutes to load BASIC by tape before I can even start working on something.

      You should get the AS68 cross-assembler, I posted it online. Plus a nice Motorola book about 6800 programming.

      Dan

    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2013

        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > You should get the AS68 cross-assembler, I posted it online. Plus a nice
        > Motorola book about 6800 programming.
        > http://www.rogtronics.net/blog/?p=255
        >
        > Dan

        I have also found that not all assemblers are equal. It's convenient to have an assembler in source form, so it can be modified to suit a particular bunch of code that's written for some particular assembler not available now.

        Blah blah blah...

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/aux/swtp6800.html

        has a section "Web links to related 6800" where I point to my version of an AS68 assembler in C, which I compiled for MS-DOS. "I took some time in Nov 2011, to revive William Colley's 6800 cross assembler A68..."

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/a68_0.zip

        I also tinkered with a general cross-assembler in C, with macro support, which covers several microprocessors, and which I've also compiled for MS-DOS, called ASMX:

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/asmx.html

        OK? C compilers for old 16-bit MSDOS include Turbo C. 32-bit MS-DOS (for Win 2K's DOS box) is supported by lcc-win32. These are freely available.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com