Re: [midatlanticretro] From The Code Project daily - early programming

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2013

       _  ____
      / \__/
      Scotty, We Need More Power !!
      \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      All --

      I get the Code Project daily email and today they had a link to programming on the Altair and IMSAI.

      I came across this article the other day - wondered how they were able to pinpoint the anniv of software programming. It'a comparable to the hardware feuds about who had the first electronic computer :)

      The 65th anniversary of computer software - Arstechnica.com
      On June 21, 1948, at what was then known as the Victoria University of Manchester, software was born. On that day 65 years ago, a proof-of-concept computer called "Baby"—officially designated as the Manchester Small Scale Experimental Machine—ran the first "program" retrieved not from paper tape or hard-set switches, but from random-access memory.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2013
        >> On June 21, 1948, at what was then known as the Victoria University of Manchester, software was born. On that day 65 years ago, a proof-of-concept computer called "Baby"—officially designated as the Manchester Small Scale Experimental Machine—ran the first "program" retrieved not from paper tape or hard-set switches, but from random-access memory.

        There's a book coming out in the next year-ish, written by one of the world's most respected computer historians, that will prove ENIAC successfully ran a stored program earlier than the Manchester machine.

        I'm not at liberty to elaborate on the details, per the author's request.