Cute MARCH Logo

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
      A friend of mine did a new logo for me and I had her do one for MARCH.

      I liked it and so I posted it in the photos area.

      It has that worn look..I figured you guys might like it.
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
        Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

        >A friend of mine did a new logo for me and I had her do one for MARCH.=A0
        >
        >I liked it and so I posted it in the photos area.
        >
        >It has that worn look..I figured you guys might like it.

        It can't be viewed by list-only members.

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
          _____________________________
          From: "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...>
          >It can't be viewed by list-only members.

          I posted it on my blog

          http://8bitaficionado.com/?attachment_id=1903
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
              On 06/21/2013 09:45 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
              > A friend of mine did a new logo for me and I had her do one for MARCH.
              >
              > I liked it and so I posted it in the photos area.
              >
              > It has that worn look..I figured you guys might like it.

              I would've liked to have seen an older system in there, but overall I think
              it's fantastic!

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                On Jun 21, 2013, at 10:35 AM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                > Nice graphic design. When you do these things you put yourself up for
                > criticism...but here is my kind suggestion -
                >
                > It's almost impossible to pick a specific system to represent our club's
                > interests.
                >
                > If it was my choice I would opt for an image more generic that spans the
                > time period of our FAQ doc, something like a TTL chip one might find in any
                > computer from 1965-85, or a 7805 resistor or something. The MAC is too
                > "new" and might give the impression that we were an 80's retro group.
                >
                > Again, please thank your friend this is really a nice design.

                Yeah, it's a great design! It also has the advantage for outsiders that the original Mac is pretty iconic, especially when it comes to old computers. Something like a C64 or Apple II might be more period-appropriate (or an S100 box, or...), but I don't think they'd necessarily resonate with people who aren't as familiar with the club or retrocomputing in general.

                A handful of 14-, 16- and 40-pin DIPs would be a great logo to be seen by insiders to the world of retrocomputing, but I don't think most other people would "get" it. The primary problem is that the public in general is woefully uneducated as far as computers (especially older ones) go. I think the original Mac is probably the best compromise out of the available options, unless I'm just not thinking of something more obvious (you'd have a hard time getting everyday people to instantly recognize an H8, for example).

                - Dave
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                  _____________________________
                  From: "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...>
                  >It can't be viewed by list-only members.

                  I posted it on my blog

                  http://8bitaficionado.com/?attachment_id=1903

                  niceeee,
                  reminds me of a Merit Badge
                  I can see it now, you have to test your skills to achieve a new ranking in the retro group.
                  And you have to get a badge made for each computer, in the ultimate geekdom  :)

                  Dan

                • billdeg
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013

                    > A handful of 14-, 16- and 40-pin DIPs would be a great logo to be seen by insiders to the world of retrocomputing, but I don't think most other people would "get" it. The primary problem is that the public in general is woefully uneducated as far as computers (especially older ones) go. I think the original Mac is probably the best compromise out of the available options, unless I'm just not thinking of something more obvious (you'd have a hard time getting everyday people to instantly recognize an H8, for example).

                    I respectfully disagree. It's not our job to bend to the masses education level as far as what *we* know and do. See my point? A nice style-ized 24-pin chip is generic enough to cover nearly everything we as a club are into. Some of us think *any* MAC is too new for our group and will foster the endless that is vintage discussions we have every so often. Not what we want to have to explain every time someone sees our logo. Another idea would be a stylized front panel blinking lights, that's more on topic.

                    BIll
                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                      I had her do a design for me.. Which is below

                      http://8bitaficionado.com/?attachment_id=1905

                      I always liked the vintage car t-shirts and I asked for her to make this for me..

                      She did a nice job, so I asked her to make one for the group..

                      I gave her a bunch of images some idea of what I wanted it to look like.

                      I then let her decide how it should look because I don't have an eye for that.

                      If anything it gives you some inspiration on what you may want to do with the next logo or t-shirt design.
                    • billdeg
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013

                        > If anything it gives you some inspiration on what you may want to do with the next logo or t-shirt design.

                        She's a pro designer, the image can easily be swapped around. Making 5 T-shirt designs were you can pick the one you like is also a way to take this. That way everyone is happy.

                        Good thread, thanks Chris.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                          On 06/21/2013 11:17 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                          > niceeee,
                          > reminds me of a Merit Badge
                          > I can see it now, you have to test your skills to achieve a new ranking in
                          > the retro group.
                          > And you have to get a badge made for each computer, in the ultimate geekdom :)

                          I like it!!

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Bill Sudbrink
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                            Christian Liendo wrote:
                            > I had her do a design for me.. Which is below
                            >

                            > http://8bitaficionado.com/?attachment_id=1905

                            I'd buy a t-shirt with that on it in a second.

                            Bill S
                          • Neil Cherry
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                              On 06/21/2013 11:18 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                              > I had her do a design for me.. Which is below
                              >
                              > http://8bitaficionado.com/?attachment_id=1905

                              I like this one but if you can keep the front panel clean as it
                              make it much more understandable. The rest can still suggest the
                              'oldness'.

                              http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                              http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                            • Christian Liendo
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                                Thanks for all the opinions

                                I wanted to make Workshirts and put this logo on the back
                              • Bill Dromgoole
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                                  > I respectfully disagree. It's not our job to bend to the masses education
                                  > level as far as what *we* know and do. See my point? A nice style-ized
                                  > 24-pin chip is generic enough to cover nearly everything we as a club are
                                  > into. Some of us think *any* MAC is too new for our group and will foster the
                                  > endless that is vintage discussions we have every so often. Not what we want
                                  > to have to explain every time someone sees our logo. Another idea would be a
                                  > stylized front panel blinking lights, that's more on topic.
                                  >
                                  > BIll

                                  How about a nice 1702A chip. That says it all.

                                  BillDrom
                                • Mike Loewen
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                                    On Fri, 21 Jun 2013, Christian Liendo wrote:

                                    > http://8bitaficionado.com/?attachment_id=1903

                                    I like the concept. As others have opined though, I think the system
                                    is too new. :-)

                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                  • Alexander Pierson
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                                      Alight here's a crazy thought...  If some systems are too new to represent MARCH for some, and others are deemed too old by others, instead of trying to find that *one* system that can stand to represent us all, why not go with something a little different?

                                      Picture a collection of different storage mediums:  IBM 80 column punch cards, some good ol' paper tape, an 8" floppy, a 5 1/4" floppy, a 3 1/2" floppy, an audio cassette...  have like 10 different storage mediums all together from the earliest to the latest (for our era of operation that is).  That way just about everybody has something to represent the hobby without worrying about company logos getting on em, and starting some copyright infringement issues.

                                      Anyway, it was just a thought.

                                      -Alexander Pierson
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 21, 2013
                                        > Alight here's a crazy thought... If some systems are too new to
                                        represent MARCH for some, and others are deemed too old by others, instead
                                        of trying to find that *one* system that can stand to represent us all, why
                                        not go with something a little different?

                                        > Picture a collection of different storage mediums: IBM 80 column punch
                                        cards, some good ol' paper tape, an 8" floppy, a 5 1/4" floppy, a 3 1/2"
                                        floppy, an audio cassette... have like 10 different storage mediums all
                                        together from the earliest to the latest (for our era of operation that
                                        is). That way just about everybody has something to represent the hobby
                                        without worrying about company logos getting on em, and starting some
                                        copyright infringement issues.

                                        > Anyway, it was just a thought.
                                        >
                                        > -Alexander Pierson

                                        It might be interesting to see what sells best, should a vendor rent a
                                        table at a VCF and sells shirts/caps with various vintage items printed on
                                        them.

                                        Bill
                                      • hornbetw
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 22, 2013
                                          I like the look, but I think the Mac perpetuates the myth that Apple invented computing. Something more "mainframey" or a generic terminal or the 8 bit aficionado logo genericized would be better.

                                          Tom