re: Paging Bryan Pope! Was: Re: [midatlanticretro] PDP-11 Programmers WANTED!

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013

      > >> Dunno if you've seen this article, but it turns out that Nuclear
      Plants are going to keep their existing PDP-11's running until 2050, so
      right now, GE is scouring Vintage Computer forums in search of PDP-11
      programmers....

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050
      /

      > Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!

      They actually had been advertising for months. We had a thread about this
      on one of the boards, don't remember which.

      bd
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
        >> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

        So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
          On 06/19/2013 01:26 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >>> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
          >
          > So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)

          I ALWAYS SUSPECTED THAT!!

          --
          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
            On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:

            >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/
            >>
            >> Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!
            > LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

            Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.

            - Dave
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
              David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

              >On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:
              >
              >> On 6/19/2013 11:55 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >>=20
              >>>=20=20
              >ts are going to keep their existing PDP-11's running until 2050, so right n=
              >ow, GE is scouring Vintage Computer forums in search of PDP-11 programmers.=
              >>>=20
              >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_=
              >2050/
              >>>=20
              >>> Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!
              >> LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour=
              > drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
              >
              >Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.

              I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
              populated state capitol. ;)

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                On 06/19/2013 03:53 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                >>> LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour=
                >> drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                >>
                >> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                >
                > I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                > populated state capitol. ;)

                There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                happened there.

                I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                building that you can practically pee on it.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Bill Sudbrink
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > >> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                  >
                  > So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)

                  Actually, dog sleds.

                  Bill S
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                    On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                    >> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                    >
                    > I know a rather famous nuke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a
                    > rather populated state capitol. ;)

                    And, contrary to to what they think, Harrisburg is NOT Central PA. :-)

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                      >>> drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                      >>>
                      >>> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                      >>
                      >> I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                      >> populated state capitol. ;)
                      >
                      > There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                      >not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                      >happened there.
                      >
                      > I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                      >several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                      >building that you can practically pee on it.

                      I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                        On 06/19/2013 04:13 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                        >>> I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                        >>> populated state capitol. ;)
                        >>
                        >> There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                        >> not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                        >> happened there.
                        >>
                        >> I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                        >> several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                        >> building that you can practically pee on it.
                        >
                        > I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)

                        Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          >>> There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                          >>> not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                          >>> happened there.
                          >>>
                          >>> I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                          >>> several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                          >>> building that you can practically pee on it.
                          >>
                          >> I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)
                          >
                          > Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)

                          You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                            On 06/19/2013 09:02 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                            >>> I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)
                            >>
                            >> Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)
                            >
                            > You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                            Hey, I think I saw a band by that name in Baltimore.

                            But no thanks, I'll pass...I wasn't compiled with that option! ;)

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                              >> You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                              There is no keg of beer large enough to make us want to see that! :)
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                                On 06/19/2013 09:06 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                >>> You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)
                                >
                                > There is no keg of beer large enough to make us want to see that! :)

                                ROFL!! Well put!

                                --
                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ