Re: Paging Bryan Pope! Was: Re: [midatlanticretro] PDP-11 Programmers WANTED!

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
      On 6/19/2013 11:55 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >> Dunno if you've seen this article, but it turns out that Nuclear Plants are going to keep their existing PDP-11's running until 2050, so right now, GE is scouring Vintage Computer forums in search of PDP-11 programmers....

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/

      Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!

      LOL!  and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour drive from me.  I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

      Cheers,

      Bryan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013

        /

        > Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!

        They actually had been advertising for months. We had a thread about this
        on one of the boards, don't remember which.

        bd
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
          >> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

          So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
            On 06/19/2013 01:26 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >>> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
            >
            > So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)

            I ALWAYS SUSPECTED THAT!!

            --
            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
              On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:

              >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/
              >>
              >> Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!
              > LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

              Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.

              - Dave
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

                >On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:
                >
                >> On 6/19/2013 11:55 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >>=20
                >>>=20=20
                >ts are going to keep their existing PDP-11's running until 2050, so right n=
                >ow, GE is scouring Vintage Computer forums in search of PDP-11 programmers.=
                >>>=20
                >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_=
                >2050/
                >>>=20
                >>> Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!
                >> LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour=
                > drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                >
                >Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.

                I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                populated state capitol. ;)

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                  On 06/19/2013 03:53 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                  >>> LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour=
                  >> drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                  >>
                  >> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                  >
                  > I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                  > populated state capitol. ;)

                  There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                  not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                  happened there.

                  I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                  several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                  building that you can practically pee on it.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > >> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                    >
                    > So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)

                    Actually, dog sleds.

                    Bill S
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                      On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                      >> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                      >
                      > I know a rather famous nuke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a
                      > rather populated state capitol. ;)

                      And, contrary to to what they think, Harrisburg is NOT Central PA. :-)

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                        >>> drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                        >>>
                        >>> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                        >>
                        >> I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                        >> populated state capitol. ;)
                        >
                        > There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                        >not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                        >happened there.
                        >
                        > I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                        >several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                        >building that you can practically pee on it.

                        I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                          On 06/19/2013 04:13 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                          >>> I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                          >>> populated state capitol. ;)
                          >>
                          >> There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                          >> not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                          >> happened there.
                          >>
                          >> I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                          >> several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                          >> building that you can practically pee on it.
                          >
                          > I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)

                          Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                            >>> There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                            >>> not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                            >>> happened there.
                            >>>
                            >>> I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                            >>> several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                            >>> building that you can practically pee on it.
                            >>
                            >> I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)
                            >
                            > Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)

                            You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                              On 06/19/2013 09:02 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                              >>> I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)
                              >>
                              >> Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)
                              >
                              > You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                              Hey, I think I saw a band by that name in Baltimore.

                              But no thanks, I'll pass...I wasn't compiled with that option! ;)

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                                >> You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                                There is no keg of beer large enough to make us want to see that! :)
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 19, 2013
                                  On 06/19/2013 09:06 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                  >>> You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)
                                  >
                                  > There is no keg of beer large enough to make us want to see that! :)

                                  ROFL!! Well put!

                                  --
                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ