Paging Bryan Pope! Was: Re: [midatlanticretro] PDP-11 Programmers WANTED!

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 19 8:55 AM
      >> Dunno if you've seen this article, but it turns out that Nuclear Plants are going to keep their existing PDP-11's running until 2050, so right now, GE is scouring Vintage Computer forums in search of PDP-11 programmers....

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/

      Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 19 10:01 AM
        On 6/19/2013 11:55 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        >> Dunno if you've seen this article, but it turns out that Nuclear Plants are going to keep their existing PDP-11's running until 2050, so right now, GE is scouring Vintage Computer forums in search of PDP-11 programmers....

        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/

        Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!

        LOL!  and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour drive from me.  I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 19 10:09 AM

          /

          > Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!

          They actually had been advertising for months. We had a thread about this
          on one of the boards, don't remember which.

          bd
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 19 10:26 AM
            >> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

            So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 19 10:28 AM
              On 06/19/2013 01:26 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >>> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
              >
              > So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)

              I ALWAYS SUSPECTED THAT!!

              --
              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19 11:09 AM
                On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:

                >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/
                >>
                >> Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!
                > LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)

                Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.

                - Dave
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 19 12:53 PM
                  David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

                  >On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> On 6/19/2013 11:55 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  >>=20
                  >>>=20=20
                  >ts are going to keep their existing PDP-11's running until 2050, so right n=
                  >ow, GE is scouring Vintage Computer forums in search of PDP-11 programmers.=
                  >>>=20
                  >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_=
                  >2050/
                  >>>=20
                  >>> Whoa, the VC Forum ad specifies Ontario ... paging Bryan Pope!
                  >> LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour=
                  > drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                  >
                  >Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.

                  I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                  populated state capitol. ;)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19 1:04 PM
                    On 06/19/2013 03:53 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    >>> LOL! and specifically it is in Peterborough, which is aboot a three hour=
                    >> drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                    >>
                    >> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                    >
                    > I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                    > populated state capitol. ;)

                    There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                    not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                    happened there.

                    I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                    several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                    building that you can practically pee on it.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Bill Sudbrink
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19 1:09 PM
                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > >> I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                      >
                      > So you admit Canada is nowhere and you all ride Yaks to work? :)

                      Actually, dog sleds.

                      Bill S
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19 1:10 PM
                        On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                        >> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                        >
                        > I know a rather famous nuke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a
                        > rather populated state capitol. ;)

                        And, contrary to to what they think, Harrisburg is NOT Central PA. :-)

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19 1:13 PM
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          >>> drive from me. I would consider it north of nowhere.. ;)
                          >>>
                          >>> Well, that *is* where they like to put nuclear power plants.
                          >>
                          >> I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                          >> populated state capitol. ;)
                          >
                          > There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                          >not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                          >happened there.
                          >
                          > I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                          >several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                          >building that you can practically pee on it.

                          I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 19 5:58 PM
                            On 06/19/2013 04:13 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                            >>> I know a rather famous nke plant that sits on the Susquehanna near a rather
                            >>> populated state capitol. ;)
                            >>
                            >> There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                            >> not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                            >> happened there.
                            >>
                            >> I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                            >> several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                            >> building that you can practically pee on it.
                            >
                            > I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)

                            Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 19 6:02 PM
                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                              >>> There's one on the shore of Lake Erie in Ohio too, in a
                              >>> not-exactly-sparse area. Two of the five worst US nuke incidents
                              >>> happened there.
                              >>>
                              >>> I drove past it on a trip to Michigan to pick up a Heath H8 system
                              >>> several months ago. The road takes you so close to the containment
                              >>> building that you can practically pee on it.
                              >>
                              >> I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)
                              >
                              > Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)

                              You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 19 6:04 PM
                                On 06/19/2013 09:02 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                >>> I wouldn't expose my privates anywhere near nuclear material! ;)
                                >>
                                >> Well sure, but...Do you wear lead underwear or something? ;)
                                >
                                > You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                                Hey, I think I saw a band by that name in Baltimore.

                                But no thanks, I'll pass...I wasn't compiled with that option! ;)

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 19 6:06 PM
                                  >> You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)

                                  There is no keg of beer large enough to make us want to see that! :)
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 19 6:08 PM
                                    On 06/19/2013 09:06 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    >>> You wanna see me in my lead speedo? :) :) :)
                                    >
                                    > There is no keg of beer large enough to make us want to see that! :)

                                    ROFL!! Well put!

                                    --
                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ