RE: [midatlanticretro] MARCH's newest toy

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
      On 06/18/2013 12:44 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
      > primaries.
      >>>
      >>> 70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
      >>> knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!
      >> The biggest system I worked on at the time was a model 16b running Xenix
      >> 3.1 an 4 of those 70 meg drives.
      >>
      >> Supported 8 users sharing one printer running scripsit, multiplan and
      >> filPro 16+.
      >
      >That sounds like it was quite a system! What kind of business was it
      >running? (if you don't mind my asking)
      >
      >-Dave
      Forgot to mention the whopping 1Meg of RAM (although I now have a couple of 3Meg cards). We used Wyse WY-50 terminals. Printing was through a Radio Shack DMP-2100 or an early HP Laser Jet using a parallel to serial adapter.

      This was for a training company that specializes in 40 and 49 CFR training. Used Scripsit 16 to publish our books and filePro to manage the direct mailings.

      We had 3 of these systems total. One for the training company, one for accounting, and one for the environmental engineering firm the same guy ran. Always kept a full spare unit.

      Internally networked together using Micnet for exchanging emails and files. Used UUCP to send and recieve emails to the outside world.

      We also played with an early hypertext system called Tandy Videotext Office Information System (not to be confused with all of their other videotex services). Wish I could find that software somewhere. Would be a great presentation for VCF. I have one of the experimental MUX systems Tandy also manufactured. Could handle 16 modems dialing in to a highly customized model II. Some more info is available at: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.tandy/xuFtkhTG7Uc

      We tried several times to get a bigger company to come out and help us automate but none were interested. In 1983 to 1987 we were too far out and not big enough to be interesting. That's where our all-in-house ethic comes from. Converted to SCO Unix around 1991 or 1992.

      Still working for the same company. www.lion.com

      Kelly