re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Ok historians. When was the intel hex format introduced...

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
      Other than yours, any 8008 code I have ever seen pre 1976 has been in
      octal, but not sure what the papertape format would be, but Intel's
      "official" format was actually IBM 029 punched cards, and alternatively
      that simple papertape format with the BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF, etc format.
      bd

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
        > Other than yours, any 8008 code I have ever seen pre 1976 has been in
        > octal, but not sure what the papertape format would be, but Intel's
        > "official" format was actually IBM 029 punched cards, and alternatively
        > that simple papertape format with the BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF, etc format.
        > bd

        I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
        029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
        BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
        the ePROM.

        bd
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
          Yes, all classical 8008 code that I've seen, is displayed to the user in octal. However when it comes to I/O, things are different. For instance, the SCELBI tape interface is designed to read and write a 4bit nibbles at a time. All the TTY interface code that I've seen is dealing with 8 bit data bytes.

          regards,
          Mike W.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
            My instinct is that early 8008/8080 used the motorola S format tapes in
            homebrew environments, while Intel was switching over to their own Intel
            Hex format tapes to replace the punchcard format they had been using. They
            probably could not use the motorola format for legal reasons, but they
            probably wanted to.
            bd

            > Yes, all classical 8008 code that I've seen, is displayed to the user in
            octal. However when it comes to I/O, things are different. For instance,
            the SCELBI tape interface is designed to read and write a 4bit nibbles at a
            time. All the TTY interface code that I've seen is dealing with 8 bit data
            bytes.

            > regards,
            > Mike W.
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>

          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

              > I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
              > 029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
              > BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
              > the ePROM.

              "MCS-8 Microcomputer Set, 8008 8-bit Parallel Central Processor Unit, User's Manual" - Nov 1973 rev 4 2nd printing

              All references are to BNPF format, none to any hex format, for paper tapes for either software or PROMs. That's likely what Bill is referring to above. Bill's n's are either P for a high or N for a low, what we would call today 1 and 0 respectively.

              from the "Intellec 8/MOD 80 Operator's Manual - preliminary edition" - June 1974

              Appendix D- - Hexadecimal program tape format - quote-

              The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system is a modified memory image, blocked into discrete records. Each record contains record length, record type, memory address, and check sum information in addition to data. A frame by frame description is as
              follows: - end quote

              the description is the Intel Hex Record format of
              :NNAAAATTDDDDDD...CC as described elsewhere. ROM monitor commands are described elsewhere in the manual, to read or write either BNPF or "hexadecimal format" paper tapes.

              I may have more to say about this on my Web site in the future.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

                > The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system...

                Specifically the Intellec 8/MOD 80 system. That's the Intellec 8008 system modified to an 8080 CPU and 8080-based ROM monitor. The manual says zero about 8008's.

                Herb
              • DougCrawford
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 30, 2013

                  > My instinct is that early 8008/8080 used the motorola S format tapes in
                  > homebrew environments, while Intel was switching over to their own Intel
                  > Hex format tapes to replace the punchcard format they had been using. They
                  > probably could not use the motorola format for legal reasons, but they
                  > probably wanted to.
                  > bd

                  I was thinking it might be tied to the Intellec development also.
                  I sure wish Gary Kildall was still around; I'm sure he could have told us, as I just read he was working with Intel as they developed
                  the 4004 on forward.