Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH's newest toy

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
      >> Have you been able to fire it up?

      No, I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.
    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
        >> Have you been able to fire it up?
        > No, I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.

        What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg primaries.

        The original ones were controlled using an 8x300 porocessor in the HD
        enclosure.

        Then they developed a WD 1010 based interface board. These were very
        simlar to the WD 1002-HD0 controllers.

        Both of these boards used the same interface for all of the supported
        tandy systems.

        There was an older 8 meg set based on a Shugart SA1004 drive. These are
        real beasts that onlu supported 512 byte sectors.

        Kelly
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
          On 06/16/2013 04:46 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
          >>> Have you been able to fire it up?
          >> No, I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.
          >
          > What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg primaries.

          70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
          knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!

          > The original ones were controlled using an 8x300 porocessor in the HD
          > enclosure.
          >
          > Then they developed a WD 1010 based interface board. These were very
          > simlar to the WD 1002-HD0 controllers.
          >
          > Both of these boards used the same interface for all of the supported
          > tandy systems.
          >
          > There was an older 8 meg set based on a Shugart SA1004 drive. These are
          > real beasts that onlu supported 512 byte sectors.

          I have two of those here. I lack controllers for them, and I don't know
          whether they work or not. They're pretty low on the priority list, but I do
          look forward to eventually being able to run one. The concept of a TRS-80
          with a hard drive is odd but very alluring to me!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
            > > What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg
            primaries.

            > 70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
            > knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!
            The biggest system I worked on at the time was a model 16b running Xenix
            3.1 an 4 of those 70 meg drives.

            Supported 8 users sharing one printer running scripsit, multiplan and
            filPro 16+.

            Kelly
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
              >> There was an older 8 meg set

              I forget (home now) but I think it's an 8MB. As I mentioned, we are due to get a few more soon.
            • Kelly D. Leavitt
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
                > I forget (home now) but I think it's an 8MB. As I mentioned,
                > we are due to get a few more soon.
                I checked the pictures again. It's a 5Meg one. These are great for CP/M,
                TRS-DOS or ls-dos.

                Kelly
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                  On 06/16/2013 05:47 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                  >>> What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg
                  > primaries.
                  >>
                  >> 70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
                  >> knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!
                  > The biggest system I worked on at the time was a model 16b running Xenix
                  > 3.1 an 4 of those 70 meg drives.
                  >
                  > Supported 8 users sharing one printer running scripsit, multiplan and
                  > filPro 16+.

                  That sounds like it was quite a system! What kind of business was it
                  running? (if you don't mind my asking)

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                    On 06/18/2013 12:44 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                    > primaries.
                    >>>
                    >>> 70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
                    >>> knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!
                    >> The biggest system I worked on at the time was a model 16b running Xenix
                    >> 3.1 an 4 of those 70 meg drives.
                    >>
                    >> Supported 8 users sharing one printer running scripsit, multiplan and
                    >> filPro 16+.
                    >
                    >That sounds like it was quite a system! What kind of business was it
                    >running? (if you don't mind my asking)
                    >
                    >-Dave
                    Forgot to mention the whopping 1Meg of RAM (although I now have a couple of 3Meg cards). We used Wyse WY-50 terminals. Printing was through a Radio Shack DMP-2100 or an early HP Laser Jet using a parallel to serial adapter.

                    This was for a training company that specializes in 40 and 49 CFR training. Used Scripsit 16 to publish our books and filePro to manage the direct mailings.

                    We had 3 of these systems total. One for the training company, one for accounting, and one for the environmental engineering firm the same guy ran. Always kept a full spare unit.

                    Internally networked together using Micnet for exchanging emails and files. Used UUCP to send and recieve emails to the outside world.

                    We also played with an early hypertext system called Tandy Videotext Office Information System (not to be confused with all of their other videotex services). Wish I could find that software somewhere. Would be a great presentation for VCF. I have one of the experimental MUX systems Tandy also manufactured. Could handle 16 modems dialing in to a highly customized model II. Some more info is available at: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.tandy/xuFtkhTG7Uc

                    We tried several times to get a bigger company to come out and help us automate but none were interested. In 1983 to 1987 we were too far out and not big enough to be interesting. That's where our all-in-house ethic comes from. Converted to SCO Unix around 1991 or 1992.

                    Still working for the same company. www.lion.com

                    Kelly