Re: Ok historians. When was the intel hex format introduced...

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013

      > >> "The Programmer's CP/M Handbook" by Andy Johnson-Laird is copyright
      > > 1983,
      > >> and it describes the format.
      > >
      > > I feel the same way, but this seems to be when Intel officially
      > > documented
      > > it as the Intel Hex format. Need to find older documentation in one of
      > > their
      > > data books.

      I don't have a lot of data, but I checked my "intel 8080/8085 Assembly Language Programming" book, c1977,1978,1979 (which I guess means the book is the 3rd reprint or revision? done in 1979.

      Page 1-2, talks about the assembler having an "OBJECT FILE" output that will likely be put in a ROM, but they do not go into any details. My guess, is either... the format wasn't established yet, or (more likely) they were keeping the format proprietary and didn't want to readily publish/share it.
      I believe the latter to be the case, based on the electronics industry at that time.

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but the format is primarily focused for 8 bit systems with 16bit addressing. I'm sure it can handle 16 bit (the PIC assembler outputs 16 bit data in intel format) but the overall format just looks natural in an 8 bit system.

      :)J
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
        Thanks. That's helpful.

        Hopefully we can confirm if its 76 or 78, but still that makes it plausible for what I'm doing. I am writing a monitor for my altair and was deciding if I should include a hex format load from paper tape or not. I wanted to be period correct for 1975/76.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 01:37:22PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
        > > Can't seem to find it using google.
        > >
        > Yup, hard to find. This pushes it back to 1976 or 1978.
        > www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/ASM.pdf. Page 1 says it generates Intel hex
        > output.

      • Neil Cherry
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
          On 06/16/2013 12:35 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

          > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the format is primarily focused for 8 bit systems with 16bit
          > addressing. I'm sure it can handle 16 bit (the PIC assembler outputs 16 bit data in intel
          > format) but the overall format just looks natural in an 8 bit system.

          I think the latest version of the Intel hex can handle 32 bit addressing (hence the 88
          update).

          See the Wiki page:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_hex

          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
            >>> 1983,
            >>>
            >>> I feel the same way, but this seems to be when Intel officially
            >>> documented
            >>> it as the Intel Hex format. Need to find older documentation in one of
            >>> their
            >>> data books.
            >

            > I don't have a lot of data, but I checked my "intel 8080/8085 Assembly Language Programming" book, c1977,1978,1979 (which I guess means the book is the 3rd reprint or revision? done in 1979.
            >
            > Page 1-2, talks about the assembler having an "OBJECT FILE" output that will likely be put in a ROM, but they do not go into any details. My guess, is either... the format wasn't established yet, or (more likely) they were keeping the format proprietary and didn't want to readily publish/share it.
            > I believe the latter to be the case, based on the electronics industry at that time.
            >
            > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the format is primarily focused for 8 bit systems with 16bit addressing. I'm sure it can handle 16 bit (the PIC assembler outputs 16 bit data in intel format) but the overall format just looks natural in an 8 bit system.

            You're right, but it's extensible. I use it for ARM development.
            (32-bit) I've not dug into the nature of the extensions, though; I just
            use it as an intermediate format.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Neil Cherry
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
              On 06/16/2013 12:40 PM, corey986 wrote:
              > Thanks. That's helpful.
              >
              > Hopefully we can confirm if its 76 or 78, but still that makes it plausible for what I'm
              > doing. I am writing a monitor for my altair and was deciding if I should include a hex
              > format load from paper tape or not. I wanted to be period correct for 1975/76.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Corey
              >
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, David
              > Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 01:37:22PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
              > > > Can't seem to find it using google.
              > > >
              > > Yup, hard to find. This pushes it back to 1976 or 1978.
              > > www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/ASM.pdf. Page 1 says it generates Intel hex
              > > output.

              Not sure what to make of this:

              http://www.willegal.net/scelbi/the8008andScelbi.html

              It seems to imply that there was Intel Hex around 75 but I'm not sure
              if I'm reading too much into it.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013

                > Can't seem to find it using google.
                >
                > Anyone have an idea? What year for the first 8 bit format?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Corey

                The 1975 custom ROM order form requires ASR 33 tapes be in the following
                format:
                Start character B followed by 8 data characters and end with F.
                BPPPNNNNNFBNNNNNNPPF ...

                not intel HEX format. But elsewhere -

                SCELBI Basic was in Intel HEX format, or at least Mike Willigal has a copy
                in this format. The ISIS system used Intel HEX format, I assume that Intel
                HEX appeared in 1974-75 on the 8008. Before the S1 / 6800 format
                probably.

                http://compusaur.com/Mark8files/as8.html

                Bill
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                  The SCELBI BASIC on my site, has been recently re-assembled from source listings. I use Intel Hex format primarily because it includes a check byte for every record.

                  I'm guessing that someone still may have some old docs for a Data I/O system 19 or earlier programmer. Data I/O supported intel hex from way back, but exactly how far back might be hard to determine.

                  Regards,
                  Mike W.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                    Other than yours, any 8008 code I have ever seen pre 1976 has been in
                    octal, but not sure what the papertape format would be, but Intel's
                    "official" format was actually IBM 029 punched cards, and alternatively
                    that simple papertape format with the BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF, etc format.
                    bd

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                      > Other than yours, any 8008 code I have ever seen pre 1976 has been in
                      > octal, but not sure what the papertape format would be, but Intel's
                      > "official" format was actually IBM 029 punched cards, and alternatively
                      > that simple papertape format with the BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF, etc format.
                      > bd

                      I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
                      029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
                      BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
                      the ePROM.

                      bd
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                        Yes, all classical 8008 code that I've seen, is displayed to the user in octal. However when it comes to I/O, things are different. For instance, the SCELBI tape interface is designed to read and write a 4bit nibbles at a time. All the TTY interface code that I've seen is dealing with 8 bit data bytes.

                        regards,
                        Mike W.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                          My instinct is that early 8008/8080 used the motorola S format tapes in
                          homebrew environments, while Intel was switching over to their own Intel
                          Hex format tapes to replace the punchcard format they had been using. They
                          probably could not use the motorola format for legal reasons, but they
                          probably wanted to.
                          bd

                          > Yes, all classical 8008 code that I've seen, is displayed to the user in
                          octal. However when it comes to I/O, things are different. For instance,
                          the SCELBI tape interface is designed to read and write a 4bit nibbles at a
                          time. All the TTY interface code that I've seen is dealing with 8 bit data
                          bytes.

                          > regards,
                          > Mike W.
                          >
                          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>

                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

                            > I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
                            > 029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
                            > BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
                            > the ePROM.

                            "MCS-8 Microcomputer Set, 8008 8-bit Parallel Central Processor Unit, User's Manual" - Nov 1973 rev 4 2nd printing

                            All references are to BNPF format, none to any hex format, for paper tapes for either software or PROMs. That's likely what Bill is referring to above. Bill's n's are either P for a high or N for a low, what we would call today 1 and 0 respectively.

                            from the "Intellec 8/MOD 80 Operator's Manual - preliminary edition" - June 1974

                            Appendix D- - Hexadecimal program tape format - quote-

                            The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system is a modified memory image, blocked into discrete records. Each record contains record length, record type, memory address, and check sum information in addition to data. A frame by frame description is as
                            follows: - end quote

                            the description is the Intel Hex Record format of
                            :NNAAAATTDDDDDD...CC as described elsewhere. ROM monitor commands are described elsewhere in the manual, to read or write either BNPF or "hexadecimal format" paper tapes.

                            I may have more to say about this on my Web site in the future.

                            Herb Johnson
                            retrotechnology.com
                          • s100doctor
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

                              > The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system...

                              Specifically the Intellec 8/MOD 80 system. That's the Intellec 8008 system modified to an 8080 CPU and 8080-based ROM monitor. The manual says zero about 8008's.

                              Herb
                            • DougCrawford
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 30, 2013

                                > My instinct is that early 8008/8080 used the motorola S format tapes in
                                > homebrew environments, while Intel was switching over to their own Intel
                                > Hex format tapes to replace the punchcard format they had been using. They
                                > probably could not use the motorola format for legal reasons, but they
                                > probably wanted to.
                                > bd

                                I was thinking it might be tied to the Intellec development also.
                                I sure wish Gary Kildall was still around; I'm sure he could have told us, as I just read he was working with Intel as they developed
                                the 4004 on forward.