Re: [midatlanticretro] Ok historians. When was the intel hex format introduced...

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
      On 06/16/2013 10:12 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
      >> Can't seem to find it using google.
      >>
      >> Anyone have an idea? What year for the first 8 bit format?
      >
      > This seems to imply 1988
      >
      > http://www.interlog.com/~speff/usefulinfo/Hexfrmt.pdf
      >
      > It is revision A.

      This cannot possibly be correct; I was using it years before 1988.

      "The Programmer's CP/M Handbook" by Andy Johnson-Laird is copyright 1983,
      and it describes the format.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
        On 06/16/2013 10:15 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
        > On 06/16/2013 10:12 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
        >>> Can't seem to find it using google.
        >>>
        >>> Anyone have an idea? What year for the first 8 bit format?
        >>
        >> This seems to imply 1988
        >>
        >> http://www.interlog.com/~speff/usefulinfo/Hexfrmt.pdf
        >>
        >> It is revision A.
        >
        >This cannot possibly be correct; I was using it years before 1988.
        >
        >"The Programmer's CP/M Handbook" by Andy Johnson-Laird is copyright
        1983,
        >and it describes the format.

        I feel the same way, but this seems to be when Intel officially
        documented
        it as the Intel Hex format. Need to find older documentation in one of
        their
        data books.

        Kelly
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
          On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 01:37:22PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
          > Can't seem to find it using google.

          Yup, hard to find. This pushes it back to 1976 or 1978.
          www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/ASM.pdf. Page 1 says it generates Intel hex
          output.
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
            On 06/16/2013 10:29 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

            >>> This seems to imply 1988
            >>>
            >>> http://www.interlog.com/~speff/usefulinfo/Hexfrmt.pdf
            >>>
            >>> It is revision A.
            >>
            >> This cannot possibly be correct; I was using it years before 1988.
            >>
            >> "The Programmer's CP/M Handbook" by Andy Johnson-Laird is copyright
            > 1983,
            >> and it describes the format.
            >
            > I feel the same way, but this seems to be when Intel officially
            > documented
            > it as the Intel Hex format. Need to find older documentation in one of
            > their
            > data books.

            I'm guessing the documentation for the Intel MDS might be a good place to
            find a much earlier reference.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013

              > >> "The Programmer's CP/M Handbook" by Andy Johnson-Laird is copyright
              > > 1983,
              > >> and it describes the format.
              > >
              > > I feel the same way, but this seems to be when Intel officially
              > > documented
              > > it as the Intel Hex format. Need to find older documentation in one of
              > > their
              > > data books.

              I don't have a lot of data, but I checked my "intel 8080/8085 Assembly Language Programming" book, c1977,1978,1979 (which I guess means the book is the 3rd reprint or revision? done in 1979.

              Page 1-2, talks about the assembler having an "OBJECT FILE" output that will likely be put in a ROM, but they do not go into any details. My guess, is either... the format wasn't established yet, or (more likely) they were keeping the format proprietary and didn't want to readily publish/share it.
              I believe the latter to be the case, based on the electronics industry at that time.

              Correct me if I'm wrong, but the format is primarily focused for 8 bit systems with 16bit addressing. I'm sure it can handle 16 bit (the PIC assembler outputs 16 bit data in intel format) but the overall format just looks natural in an 8 bit system.

              :)J
            • corey986
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                Thanks. That's helpful.

                Hopefully we can confirm if its 76 or 78, but still that makes it plausible for what I'm doing. I am writing a monitor for my altair and was deciding if I should include a hex format load from paper tape or not. I wanted to be period correct for 1975/76.

                Cheers,
                Corey

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

                > On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 01:37:22PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
                > > Can't seem to find it using google.
                > >
                > Yup, hard to find. This pushes it back to 1976 or 1978.
                > www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/ASM.pdf. Page 1 says it generates Intel hex
                > output.

              • Neil Cherry
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                  On 06/16/2013 12:35 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

                  > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the format is primarily focused for 8 bit systems with 16bit
                  > addressing. I'm sure it can handle 16 bit (the PIC assembler outputs 16 bit data in intel
                  > format) but the overall format just looks natural in an 8 bit system.

                  I think the latest version of the Intel hex can handle 32 bit addressing (hence the 88
                  update).

                  See the Wiki page:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_hex

                  http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                  http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                    >>> 1983,
                    >>>
                    >>> I feel the same way, but this seems to be when Intel officially
                    >>> documented
                    >>> it as the Intel Hex format. Need to find older documentation in one of
                    >>> their
                    >>> data books.
                    >

                    > I don't have a lot of data, but I checked my "intel 8080/8085 Assembly Language Programming" book, c1977,1978,1979 (which I guess means the book is the 3rd reprint or revision? done in 1979.
                    >
                    > Page 1-2, talks about the assembler having an "OBJECT FILE" output that will likely be put in a ROM, but they do not go into any details. My guess, is either... the format wasn't established yet, or (more likely) they were keeping the format proprietary and didn't want to readily publish/share it.
                    > I believe the latter to be the case, based on the electronics industry at that time.
                    >
                    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the format is primarily focused for 8 bit systems with 16bit addressing. I'm sure it can handle 16 bit (the PIC assembler outputs 16 bit data in intel format) but the overall format just looks natural in an 8 bit system.

                    You're right, but it's extensible. I use it for ARM development.
                    (32-bit) I've not dug into the nature of the extensions, though; I just
                    use it as an intermediate format.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Neil Cherry
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                      On 06/16/2013 12:40 PM, corey986 wrote:
                      > Thanks. That's helpful.
                      >
                      > Hopefully we can confirm if its 76 or 78, but still that makes it plausible for what I'm
                      > doing. I am writing a monitor for my altair and was deciding if I should include a hex
                      > format load from paper tape or not. I wanted to be period correct for 1975/76.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Corey
                      >
                      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, David
                      > Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 01:37:22PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
                      > > > Can't seem to find it using google.
                      > > >
                      > > Yup, hard to find. This pushes it back to 1976 or 1978.
                      > > www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/ASM.pdf. Page 1 says it generates Intel hex
                      > > output.

                      Not sure what to make of this:

                      http://www.willegal.net/scelbi/the8008andScelbi.html

                      It seems to imply that there was Intel Hex around 75 but I'm not sure
                      if I'm reading too much into it.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013

                        > Can't seem to find it using google.
                        >
                        > Anyone have an idea? What year for the first 8 bit format?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Corey

                        The 1975 custom ROM order form requires ASR 33 tapes be in the following
                        format:
                        Start character B followed by 8 data characters and end with F.
                        BPPPNNNNNFBNNNNNNPPF ...

                        not intel HEX format. But elsewhere -

                        SCELBI Basic was in Intel HEX format, or at least Mike Willigal has a copy
                        in this format. The ISIS system used Intel HEX format, I assume that Intel
                        HEX appeared in 1974-75 on the 8008. Before the S1 / 6800 format
                        probably.

                        http://compusaur.com/Mark8files/as8.html

                        Bill
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                          The SCELBI BASIC on my site, has been recently re-assembled from source listings. I use Intel Hex format primarily because it includes a check byte for every record.

                          I'm guessing that someone still may have some old docs for a Data I/O system 19 or earlier programmer. Data I/O supported intel hex from way back, but exactly how far back might be hard to determine.

                          Regards,
                          Mike W.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                            Other than yours, any 8008 code I have ever seen pre 1976 has been in
                            octal, but not sure what the papertape format would be, but Intel's
                            "official" format was actually IBM 029 punched cards, and alternatively
                            that simple papertape format with the BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF, etc format.
                            bd

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                              > Other than yours, any 8008 code I have ever seen pre 1976 has been in
                              > octal, but not sure what the papertape format would be, but Intel's
                              > "official" format was actually IBM 029 punched cards, and alternatively
                              > that simple papertape format with the BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF, etc format.
                              > bd

                              I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
                              029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
                              BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
                              the ePROM.

                              bd
                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                                Yes, all classical 8008 code that I've seen, is displayed to the user in octal. However when it comes to I/O, things are different. For instance, the SCELBI tape interface is designed to read and write a 4bit nibbles at a time. All the TTY interface code that I've seen is dealing with 8 bit data bytes.

                                regards,
                                Mike W.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                                  My instinct is that early 8008/8080 used the motorola S format tapes in
                                  homebrew environments, while Intel was switching over to their own Intel
                                  Hex format tapes to replace the punchcard format they had been using. They
                                  probably could not use the motorola format for legal reasons, but they
                                  probably wanted to.
                                  bd

                                  > Yes, all classical 8008 code that I've seen, is displayed to the user in
                                  octal. However when it comes to I/O, things are different. For instance,
                                  the SCELBI tape interface is designed to read and write a 4bit nibbles at a
                                  time. All the TTY interface code that I've seen is dealing with 8 bit data
                                  bytes.

                                  > regards,
                                  > Mike W.
                                  >
                                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>

                                • s100doctor
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

                                    > I should clarify - The Intel manual's format in 1975, for ordering ROMs was
                                    > 029 punched card format. The alternative is a papertape with the
                                    > BnnnnnnnnFBnnnnnnnnF format, containing the entire 1024 bytes in total for
                                    > the ePROM.

                                    "MCS-8 Microcomputer Set, 8008 8-bit Parallel Central Processor Unit, User's Manual" - Nov 1973 rev 4 2nd printing

                                    All references are to BNPF format, none to any hex format, for paper tapes for either software or PROMs. That's likely what Bill is referring to above. Bill's n's are either P for a high or N for a low, what we would call today 1 and 0 respectively.

                                    from the "Intellec 8/MOD 80 Operator's Manual - preliminary edition" - June 1974

                                    Appendix D- - Hexadecimal program tape format - quote-

                                    The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system is a modified memory image, blocked into discrete records. Each record contains record length, record type, memory address, and check sum information in addition to data. A frame by frame description is as
                                    follows: - end quote

                                    the description is the Intel Hex Record format of
                                    :NNAAAATTDDDDDD...CC as described elsewhere. ROM monitor commands are described elsewhere in the manual, to read or write either BNPF or "hexadecimal format" paper tapes.

                                    I may have more to say about this on my Web site in the future.

                                    Herb Johnson
                                    retrotechnology.com
                                  • s100doctor
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 23, 2013

                                      > The hexadecimal tape format used by the Itellec 8 system...

                                      Specifically the Intellec 8/MOD 80 system. That's the Intellec 8008 system modified to an 8080 CPU and 8080-based ROM monitor. The manual says zero about 8008's.

                                      Herb
                                    • DougCrawford
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 30, 2013

                                        > My instinct is that early 8008/8080 used the motorola S format tapes in
                                        > homebrew environments, while Intel was switching over to their own Intel
                                        > Hex format tapes to replace the punchcard format they had been using. They
                                        > probably could not use the motorola format for legal reasons, but they
                                        > probably wanted to.
                                        > bd

                                        I was thinking it might be tied to the Intellec development also.
                                        I sure wish Gary Kildall was still around; I'm sure he could have told us, as I just read he was working with Intel as they developed
                                        the 4004 on forward.