Re: OT: 1.3 and 2.6 gig MO optical disks

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2013
      Wow now that brings back memories. Not that I want the optical disks, I may still have some of the 650mb ones and a couple of the 1.3gb ones in a box somewhere myself. But memories of giant optical jukeboxes the size of a large household refrigerator to store 40gb of data. You'd ask for a file and the chunking and banging noise it would make moving platters around to put the current optical away and put the new one in. If you were in a data center even with all the fan noise you usually could hear from a distance someone requesting data. Worse if it was one of the "room" size optical jukeboxes that some people used.

      True permanent storage as they were WORM drives and the only legal digital archive at the time. I guess it was the early 90's and banks were storing their mainframe "greenbar" printed reports on them instead of wasting all that 132 column paper and having to pay to keep it at iron mountain, they could just store an optical WORM platter.

      Ah. Memories....

      Cheers,
      Corey

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:

      > I have 1.3 and 2.6 gig M-O disks.
      > If you want them, speak up and get them at InfoAge,
      > else they'll be crafts decorations real soon!

    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2013
        Are your 650Mb ones the PD (or was it "PD/CD" or "PD650"?) variety? The
        rewritable cartridge that would go in a drive that would also read regular
        CD's? A place I used to work apparently got excited about them and had a
        handful of drives, etc, that I don't think anyone ever really used. I have
        one of the drives and probably a dozen discs. Seems like it would have been
        a great technology if it had taken off. Of course CD-R's killed it quickly.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-change_Dual

        I came close, but never actually got to see or work on a jukebox. Right out
        of high school I worked for a small local computer company...the county IT
        department put out a request for bid on an HP optical jukebox. In order to
        sell it, for some reason, we had to be able to do repair work on it. I took
        a book or online course or something, then took a test and got certified.
        We won the bid and sold it to them and had it drop-shipped. I guess it
        worked great, as I never had a chance to lay my eyes on it...

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2013
          No I actually pre-dated the rewritable ones. If I recall they came a long a year or two later and needed drive upgrades. When I first started working with this stuff they were WORM (write once read many times) only.

          Cheers,
          Corey