Re: Centronics printer/IMSAI success!

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      > All --
      >
      > I connected it to my serial/parallel converter, fired up CP/M and went "pip
      > lpt:=b:file.txt" and it worked! The old ribbon is mostly OK, with a minor
      > dead spot in it. The printer is slow, somewhat noisy (even with the new foam
      > padding), but it works, so I'm happy. Ahhh, the sound of dot-matrix
      > printing┬Ő

      Excellent! You just love that sound of random pins firing!

      Every year at the Pine Wood Derby, I ask the kids to be quiet for a moment as I start up the dot-matrix, then I ask them if they know that sound. They all say it's the printer, but I tell them it's a piece of history! :)J
    • Neil Cherry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2013
        On 06/13/2013 11:21 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > All --
        > >
        > > I connected it to my serial/parallel converter, fired up CP/M and went "pip
        > > lpt:=b:file.txt" and it worked! The old ribbon is mostly OK, with a minor
        > > dead spot in it. The printer is slow, somewhat noisy (even with the new foam
        > > padding), but it works, so I'm happy. Ahhh, the sound of dot-matrix
        > > printingŠ
        >
        > Excellent! You just love that sound of random pins firing!
        >
        > Every year at the Pine Wood Derby, I ask the kids to be quiet for a moment as I start up
        > the dot-matrix, then I ask them if they know that sound. They all say it's the printer,
        > but I tell them it's a piece of history! :)J

        During the late 80's the company I worked for (Microcomm) built
        news wire boards for dot matrix printers used in the new industry.
        One nite while listen to NBC-NY News I could hear in the background
        one of our printers priting away like mad (Okidata 82 slimline, yes I
        knew the sounds of each type). And they way I knew was that the story
        on the line was 3 bells. I don't recall the story but it was important.

        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Neil Cherry <ncherry@...> wrote:

          > > "sound of random pins firing!"
          > >

          > During the late 80's the company I worked for (Microcomm) built
          > news wire boards for dot matrix printers used in the new industry.
          > One nite while listen to NBC-NY News I could hear in the background
          > one of our printers priting away like mad (Okidata 82 slimline, yes I
          > knew the sounds of each type). And they way I knew was that the story
          > on the line was 3 bells. I don't recall the story but it was important.

          I believe it. It's not just pins firing, but it's the acoustics of the printer box (and type of foam Rich used), the size and type of the drum or cylinder (what ever it's called) that the pins are striking against, the solenoids themselves and the speed that the print head is moving at.

          So, like a musician knows the difference between a cheap instrument and a quality instrument, I'm sure you know your printer! We should play a game, name that printer... :)

          In the security field, they used something like a ticker tape recorder to receive alarms in the central station. The older guys knew the address of the alarm by the sound.

          :)J
        • Wesley Furr
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2013
            And perhaps "name that modem connect speed tone" also! :-)

            Wesley