Re: Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
      What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
      one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

      I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

      Regards,
      MIke W.

      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
        On 06/13/2013 05:44 PM, Mike wrote:
        > What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
        > one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

        Oh yes, absolutely.

        > I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

        Sure. I was just sharing what happened, as I was surprised by it.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
          On 06/13/2013 04:10 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
          >>> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
          >>> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
          >>> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
          >>
          >> Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
          >> terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
          >> RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
          >> like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
          >> before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
          >> watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
          >> playing.
          >
          > It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
          > on my HP 2109E:
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

          :-)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ