Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
      On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
      >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
      >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
      >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
      >
      > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
      > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
      > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
      > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
      > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
      > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
      > playing.

      It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
      on my HP 2109E:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
        What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
        one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

        I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

        Regards,
        MIke W.

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
          On 06/13/2013 05:44 PM, Mike wrote:
          > What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
          > one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

          Oh yes, absolutely.

          > I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

          Sure. I was just sharing what happened, as I was surprised by it.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
            On 06/13/2013 04:10 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
            >>> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
            >>> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
            >>> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
            >>
            >> Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
            >> terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
            >> RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
            >> like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
            >> before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
            >> watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
            >> playing.
            >
            > It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
            > on my HP 2109E:
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

            :-)

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ