Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
      On 13 Jun 2013, at 15:01, "Ray Sills" <raysills3@...> wrote:

      On Jun 13, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

      On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
      Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
      is, the better they like them.  Color graphics and a joystick seem
      like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.

       Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
      terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
      RSTS/E prompt, of course)  Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those
      games
      like ducks to water.  They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
      before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it".  It was fascinating
      watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then
      started
      playing.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA

      That's the way a lot of kids operate:  they push buttons, flip
      switches, and observe what happens.  Eventually, (often quickly) they
      figure out what does what and are able to map that into their brains
      and begin serious usage.  They simply are not intimidated by something
      "complex and difficult" to understand.  You should see my 2 1/2 year
      old grandson navigate his way around my iPhone!  Grownups, for
      whatever reason, seem to be afraid of "doing the wrong thing" and
      messing it up.  Kids don't care.

      I still solve problems that way.  I’m a /bit/ more cautious, but without that method of problem-solving, some of my problems would never get solved. ;)

      I got a broken I/O module to work in a Cisco 7200 by removing a burning transistor or resistor from the board through brute force once.  It made it (mostly) work believe it or not...

      73 de Ray

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
        On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
        >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
        >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
        >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
        >
        > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
        > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
        > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
        > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
        > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
        > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
        > playing.

        It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
        on my HP 2109E:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
          What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
          one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

          I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

          Regards,
          MIke W.

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
            On 06/13/2013 05:44 PM, Mike wrote:
            > What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
            > one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

            Oh yes, absolutely.

            > I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

            Sure. I was just sharing what happened, as I was surprised by it.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
              On 06/13/2013 04:10 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
              >>> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
              >>> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
              >>> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
              >>
              >> Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
              >> terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
              >> RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
              >> like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
              >> before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
              >> watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
              >> playing.
              >
              > It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
              > on my HP 2109E:
              >
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

              :-)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ