Re: [midatlanticretro] Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
      On 11 Jun 2013, at 14:32, "Kyle Owen" <kylevowen@...> wrote:

      Again, it was mostly adults that even were slightly amused at Tic-Tac-Toe on my 6800. The kids went straight for King's Quest. Playing "The Entertainer" on the 6800 drew some more people in. Stuff like this is entertaining, as it's actually pretty good music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68qZ8JvBds

      I like that guy’s stuff.  His stuff is what made me want some DECtalk gear so I could do some similar stuff.

      Maybe it's just me, but I'm all about sharing this hobby to more people and get some general interest, even if it means emphasizing the more fun aspects of vintage computing. I personally think of it more as a hook into the fascinating realm of vintage computers than a reinforcement of these computers as toys.

      Kyle

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
        On Jun 13, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
        >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
        >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
        >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
        >
        > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
        > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
        > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those
        > games
        > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
        > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating
        > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then
        > started
        > playing.
        >
        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

        That's the way a lot of kids operate: they push buttons, flip
        switches, and observe what happens. Eventually, (often quickly) they
        figure out what does what and are able to map that into their brains
        and begin serious usage. They simply are not intimidated by something
        "complex and difficult" to understand. You should see my 2 1/2 year
        old grandson navigate his way around my iPhone! Grownups, for
        whatever reason, seem to be afraid of "doing the wrong thing" and
        messing it up. Kids don't care.

        73 de Ray
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
          On 13 Jun 2013, at 15:01, "Ray Sills" <raysills3@...> wrote:

[...]

          I still solve problems that way.  I’m a /bit/ more cautious, but without that method of problem-solving, some of my problems would never get solved. ;)

          I got a broken I/O module to work in a Cisco 7200 by removing a burning transistor or resistor from the board through brute force once.  It made it (mostly) work believe it or not...

          73 de Ray

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
            On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

            > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
            >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
            >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
            >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
            >
            > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
            > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
            > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
            > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
            > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
            > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
            > playing.

            It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
            on my HP 2109E:

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
              What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
              one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

              I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

              Regards,
              MIke W.

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                On 06/13/2013 05:44 PM, Mike wrote:
                > What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
                > one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

                Oh yes, absolutely.

                > I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

                Sure. I was just sharing what happened, as I was surprised by it.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                  On 06/13/2013 04:10 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                  >>> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
                  >>> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
                  >>> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
                  >>
                  >> Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
                  >> terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
                  >> RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
                  >> like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
                  >> before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
                  >> watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
                  >> playing.
                  >
                  > It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
                  > on my HP 2109E:
                  >
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

                  :-)

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ