Re: Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
      My assumption is that most of the Maker Faire attendees have at least a passing interest in "making" stuff.

      Flash Corliss at VCF-atlanta had a display of reproduction/kit computers - Mark 8, Cosmac elf, etc. Would have been a very relevant Maker Faire exhibit. Another angle might be restoration of original gear - show a badly beat up garage find next to a completely restored and operating unit.

      Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.

      By the way, does MARCH have handouts/info sheets that they give away to interested parties at these shows? If not, I may be able to help in that area.

      Regards,
      Mike W.
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
        On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
        > Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
        > is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
        > like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.

        Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
        terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
        RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
        like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
        before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
        watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
        playing.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
          Mike wrote:
          > My assumption is that most of the Maker Faire attendees
          > have at least a passing interest in "making" stuff.

          That sort of matches up with a VCF display I'm planning to
          do some day titled "So You Say You've Built A Computer".

          The display would be broken into segments like:

          Did you use a screwdriver? How about a drill or saw?
          This section would contain information and artifacts
          about the simple mechanical aspects involved in a
          vintage computer chassis. I have a number of hacked
          up chassis examples. Would contain various info about
          mounting your own power supply, fans and other cooling
          requirements, various switches, etc.

          Did you customize your OS? How about your bus?
          This section would show various add in cards (mostly S-100)
          and describe the process involved in setting them up and
          modifying the OS to use them. It would also describe the
          loose interpretation of some "standards" that ended up making
          cards that should be compatible incompatible. Display some
          of the really "wacky" cards with dozens of jumpers to try to
          cover all of the bases.

          Did you use a soldering iron? How about wire wrap?
          Did you copy the circuit out of a magazine? Did you
          design your own?
          This section would show full kits, bare boards and
          proto-boards and describe the process of construction
          and testing. I have a couple of unassembled S-100
          card kits. Also show vintage hobbyist magazines with
          construction/design articles.

          Bill S.
        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
            On 11 Jun 2013, at 14:32, "Kyle Owen" <kylevowen@...> wrote:

            Again, it was mostly adults that even were slightly amused at Tic-Tac-Toe on my 6800. The kids went straight for King's Quest. Playing "The Entertainer" on the 6800 drew some more people in. Stuff like this is entertaining, as it's actually pretty good music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68qZ8JvBds

            I like that guy’s stuff.  His stuff is what made me want some DECtalk gear so I could do some similar stuff.

            Maybe it's just me, but I'm all about sharing this hobby to more people and get some general interest, even if it means emphasizing the more fun aspects of vintage computing. I personally think of it more as a hook into the fascinating realm of vintage computers than a reinforcement of these computers as toys.

            Kyle

          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
              On Jun 13, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
              >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
              >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
              >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
              >
              > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
              > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
              > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those
              > games
              > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
              > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating
              > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then
              > started
              > playing.
              >
              > -Dave
              >
              > --
              > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              > New Kensington, PA

              That's the way a lot of kids operate: they push buttons, flip
              switches, and observe what happens. Eventually, (often quickly) they
              figure out what does what and are able to map that into their brains
              and begin serious usage. They simply are not intimidated by something
              "complex and difficult" to understand. You should see my 2 1/2 year
              old grandson navigate his way around my iPhone! Grownups, for
              whatever reason, seem to be afraid of "doing the wrong thing" and
              messing it up. Kids don't care.

              73 de Ray
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                On 13 Jun 2013, at 15:01, "Ray Sills" <raysills3@...> wrote:

[...]

                I still solve problems that way.  I’m a /bit/ more cautious, but without that method of problem-solving, some of my problems would never get solved. ;)

                I got a broken I/O module to work in a Cisco 7200 by removing a burning transistor or resistor from the board through brute force once.  It made it (mostly) work believe it or not...

                73 de Ray

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                  On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                  > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
                  >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
                  >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
                  >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
                  >
                  > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
                  > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
                  > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
                  > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
                  > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
                  > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
                  > playing.

                  It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
                  on my HP 2109E:

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                    What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
                    one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

                    I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

                    Regards,
                    MIke W.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                      On 06/13/2013 05:44 PM, Mike wrote:
                      > What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
                      > one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

                      Oh yes, absolutely.

                      > I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

                      Sure. I was just sharing what happened, as I was surprised by it.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                        On 06/13/2013 04:10 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                        >>> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
                        >>> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
                        >>> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
                        >>
                        >> Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
                        >> terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
                        >> RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
                        >> like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
                        >> before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
                        >> watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
                        >> playing.
                        >
                        > It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
                        > on my HP 2109E:
                        >
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

                        :-)

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ