RE: [midatlanticretro] MARCH's newest toy

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2013
      > Nope. I was wrong. TRS-80 model 4D was introduced in 1985
      And I'm still wrong. The 4D said Tandy on it.

      Kelly

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2013
        Sounds like your original statement is indeed correct...everything model
        2000 and after said Tandy. Though the 4D is Tandy and TRS-80, same as the
        2000...so the 2000 is not the only machine to carry both labels.

        Thanks also for the info on drives, etc.

        Wesley

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2013
          >> Are any of those old drives in working condition?

          Don't know. Only this one is in our possession so far and we didn't have time to test it. But we saw fit to put it directly on display, vs. in storage, because it's cosmetically nice. The other two or three will be ours in the couple of months via two different people.
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
            On 06/13/2013 01:10 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > Today we acquired a Tandy hard disk -- see attached pictures.
            >
            > It's weird: we didn't see * any * of these for the past eight years, yet
            > in the past month we've gotten leads on three or four of them!

            [catching up on old mail]

            This is a very good score; these are quite rare now. Have you been able to
            fire it up?

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
              >> Have you been able to fire it up?

              No, I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.
            • Kelly D. Leavitt
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
                >> Have you been able to fire it up?
                > No, I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.

                What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg primaries.

                The original ones were controlled using an 8x300 porocessor in the HD
                enclosure.

                Then they developed a WD 1010 based interface board. These were very
                simlar to the WD 1002-HD0 controllers.

                Both of these boards used the same interface for all of the supported
                tandy systems.

                There was an older 8 meg set based on a Shugart SA1004 drive. These are
                real beasts that onlu supported 512 byte sectors.

                Kelly
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
                  On 06/16/2013 04:46 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                  >>> Have you been able to fire it up?
                  >> No, I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.
                  >
                  > What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg primaries.

                  70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
                  knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!

                  > The original ones were controlled using an 8x300 porocessor in the HD
                  > enclosure.
                  >
                  > Then they developed a WD 1010 based interface board. These were very
                  > simlar to the WD 1002-HD0 controllers.
                  >
                  > Both of these boards used the same interface for all of the supported
                  > tandy systems.
                  >
                  > There was an older 8 meg set based on a Shugart SA1004 drive. These are
                  > real beasts that onlu supported 512 byte sectors.

                  I have two of those here. I lack controllers for them, and I don't know
                  whether they work or not. They're pretty low on the priority list, but I do
                  look forward to eventually being able to run one. The concept of a TRS-80
                  with a hard drive is odd but very alluring to me!

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
                    > > What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg
                    primaries.

                    > 70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
                    > knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!
                    The biggest system I worked on at the time was a model 16b running Xenix
                    3.1 an 4 of those 70 meg drives.

                    Supported 8 users sharing one printer running scripsit, multiplan and
                    filPro 16+.

                    Kelly
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
                      >> There was an older 8 meg set

                      I forget (home now) but I think it's an 8MB. As I mentioned, we are due to get a few more soon.
                    • Kelly D. Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 16, 2013
                        > I forget (home now) but I think it's an 8MB. As I mentioned,
                        > we are due to get a few more soon.
                        I checked the pictures again. It's a 5Meg one. These are great for CP/M,
                        TRS-DOS or ls-dos.

                        Kelly
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                          On 06/16/2013 05:47 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                          >>> What size drive is it? There were 5, 12, 15, 35 and 70 meg
                          > primaries.
                          >>
                          >> 70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
                          >> knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!
                          > The biggest system I worked on at the time was a model 16b running Xenix
                          > 3.1 an 4 of those 70 meg drives.
                          >
                          > Supported 8 users sharing one printer running scripsit, multiplan and
                          > filPro 16+.

                          That sounds like it was quite a system! What kind of business was it
                          running? (if you don't mind my asking)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Kelly D. Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                            On 06/18/2013 12:44 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                            > primaries.
                            >>>
                            >>> 70MB! Wow I didn't know they went that high. Actually I don't think I
                            >>> knew about the 35MB ones either. Neat!
                            >> The biggest system I worked on at the time was a model 16b running Xenix
                            >> 3.1 an 4 of those 70 meg drives.
                            >>
                            >> Supported 8 users sharing one printer running scripsit, multiplan and
                            >> filPro 16+.
                            >
                            >That sounds like it was quite a system! What kind of business was it
                            >running? (if you don't mind my asking)
                            >
                            >-Dave
                            Forgot to mention the whopping 1Meg of RAM (although I now have a couple of 3Meg cards). We used Wyse WY-50 terminals. Printing was through a Radio Shack DMP-2100 or an early HP Laser Jet using a parallel to serial adapter.

                            This was for a training company that specializes in 40 and 49 CFR training. Used Scripsit 16 to publish our books and filePro to manage the direct mailings.

                            We had 3 of these systems total. One for the training company, one for accounting, and one for the environmental engineering firm the same guy ran. Always kept a full spare unit.

                            Internally networked together using Micnet for exchanging emails and files. Used UUCP to send and recieve emails to the outside world.

                            We also played with an early hypertext system called Tandy Videotext Office Information System (not to be confused with all of their other videotex services). Wish I could find that software somewhere. Would be a great presentation for VCF. I have one of the experimental MUX systems Tandy also manufactured. Could handle 16 modems dialing in to a highly customized model II. Some more info is available at: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.tandy/xuFtkhTG7Uc

                            We tried several times to get a bigger company to come out and help us automate but none were interested. In 1983 to 1987 we were too far out and not big enough to be interesting. That's where our all-in-house ethic comes from. Converted to SCO Unix around 1991 or 1992.

                            Still working for the same company. www.lion.com

                            Kelly