Idea for our Maker Faire exhibit

    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 10, 2013
      Here's the big idea for a MARCH exhibit at Maker Faire this year.

      We can get a 20x20 space and build a "Be the Bit" maze out of PVC (frame) and painter's tarps (walls). The exhibit will target families. People would enter, start at newly created data, and then follow a path (or different paths based on their decisions?) as the data is temporarily stored, displayed, changed, printed, saved, deleted, etc. ... all of the posters will be written as "you" evolve through a computer. At each decision point we'll use posters to explain very simple concepts and how they haven't changed from Babbage to UNIVAC to PCs to iPhones. At the end we'll have a few computers set up that represent different kinds of I/O plus club literature, etc.

      I think that's an ** awesome ** idea. It will teach general concepts to kids, it'll teach some history, and we can re-use it at the next VCF East or in the museum someday.

      Thoughts?
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 10, 2013

        > Here's the big idea for a MARCH exhibit at Maker Faire this year.
        > Thoughts?

        Very nice idea. Perhaps in a corner there could be a small tent full of moths and other computer bugs :)

        :)J
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
          joshbensadon <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:

          >Very nice idea. Perhaps in a corner there could be a small tent full of mo=
          >ths and other computer bugs :)

          One of the painters tarp walls should have thousands of holes cut in it to
          represent Micro$oft Windows! ;)

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013

            > Here's the big idea for a MARCH exhibit at Maker Faire this year.
            >
            > We can get a 20x20 space and build a "Be the Bit" maze out of PVC (frame)
            and painter's tarps (walls). The exhibit will target families. People would
            enter, start at newly created data, and then follow a path (or different
            paths based on their decisions?) as the data is temporarily stored,
            displayed, changed, printed, saved, deleted, etc. ... all of the posters
            will be written as "you" evolve through a computer. At each decision point
            we'll use posters to explain very simple concepts and how they haven't
            changed from Babbage to UNIVAC to PCs to iPhones. At the end we'll have a
            few computers set up that represent different kinds of I/O plus club
            literature, etc.

            > I think that's an ** awesome ** idea. It will teach general concepts to
            kids, it'll teach some history, and we can re-use it at the next VCF East
            or in the museum someday.

            > Thoughts?

            The next step would be a logic flow diagram, like an assembly language
            program pseudocode.

            Sounds like fun.

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013

              This is something to think about, maybe a permanent demonstrator for the future exhibits or events
              At my first job, I built a computer demonstrator for the company's training dept. They wanted something simple for the beginners class to show how a CPU operates. Basically is was just a block diagram with the internals of CPU painted on a large stand with a sheet of plastic and a bunch of LED's and switches everywhere. The LED's were grouped in each section, the ALU, Registers, etc and the rest lined the address bus, data bus and control signals. I had these blink when they would step thru the code or run a program. All of this was running on just a TRS-80 model I which was still new at the time - they didn't want any of their systems wasted on running this demonstrator :)

              Dan

            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                > One of the painters tarp walls should have thousands of holes cut in it to
                > represent Micro$oft Windows! ;)

                To stress the significance of the holes, instead of a tarp wall, it should be either a boat or condom.

                :)J
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                  On 06/11/2013 10:21 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> One of the painters tarp walls should have thousands of holes cut in it to
                  >> represent Micro$oft Windows! ;)
                  >>

                  > To stress the significance of the holes, instead of a tarp wall, it should be either a boat or condom.
                  >
                  > :)J

                  Guys, I'm all for having fun at Microsoft's expense ... but does anyone
                  have any * actual * ideas for the Maker Faire exhibit concept? I'm
                  looking for ideas that are very kid-friendly and easy to implement.
                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > Guys, I'm all for having fun at Microsoft's expense ... but does anyone
                    > have any * actual * ideas for the Maker Faire exhibit concept? I'm
                    > looking for ideas that are very kid-friendly and easy to implement.

                    A Dec "Computer Lab". Herb has one, or used to anyway.

                    Bill S.
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013

                      > Guys, I'm all for having fun at Microsoft's expense ... but does anyone
                      > have any * actual * ideas for the Maker Faire exhibit concept? I'm
                      > looking for ideas that are very kid-friendly and easy to implement.

                      Right, ideas... Hmmm. Well, I know kids love to have something tangible in their hands. Perhaps some printed instructions for them as they enter "the core". Check out some preschool stores for numbered cards. Having the kids go through the core just once is definitely not enough, how about giving the kid an instruction, ie an octal number on a card. Don't use HEX numbers, kids don't understand that. Inside the core, they should look for this number on another printed card, then on the back of that card will be another number that needs to be matched outside of the core at the "Console Table".

                      Sorry, it's just a rough idea, but food for thought.

                      The numbers can have coloured back grounds so they know where to take the number. There could be 4 parts to the human computer, say the "Console", "Core", "ALU", "Memory"?

                      The kid should wait until the operator at the console gives them a card, then they should take that card off into the system. There could even be a line up of kids, each taking a card in succession. The more kids you have, the faster the processor.

                      Perhaps, these cards can be placed in plexiglass pockets, so observers (parents) from the outside can see the changes in the various "registers".

                      Now we have cards with numbers and colours. With kids running around, there's bound to be a program crash! better pad the floors :)

                      :)J
                    • Kyle Owen
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013

                        On Jun 10, 2013 8:24 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                        > Here's the big idea for a MARCH exhibit at Maker Faire this year.
                        >
                        > We can get a 20x20 space and build a "Be the Bit" maze out of PVC (frame) and painter's tarps (walls). The exhibit will target families. People would enter, start at newly created data, and then follow a path (or different paths based on their decisions?) as the data is temporarily stored, displayed, changed, printed, saved, deleted, etc. ... all of the posters will be written as "you" evolve through a computer. At each decision point we'll use posters to explain very simple concepts and how they haven't changed from Babbage to UNIVAC to PCs to iPhones. At the end we'll have a few computers set up that represent different kinds of I/O plus club literature, etc.
                        >
                        > I think that's an ** awesome ** idea. It will teach general concepts to kids, it'll teach some history, and we can re-use it at the next VCF East or in the museum someday.
                        >
                        > Thoughts?

                        The AHCS had a part in the Mini Maker Faire in Atlanta last year. I've seen several of you so far talking about how to make it a good exhibit for the kids. Have you folks participated in a Maker Faire before? It's certainly not tailored just for kids. I'd keep that in mind when creating the exhibit. I brought a SWTPC 6800 to the Faire and demonstrated Tic-Tac-Toe. The adults seemed to enjoy it more than the kids. The kids did enjoy playing on the PCjr, however. I think King's Quest was running.

                        One thing's for sure: dumb down the exhibits for the masses. Be entertaining. Get folks hooked on how cool technology used to be! Run music programs on your PDP-8/Es, not FORTRAN! :)

                        Kyle

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                          > Have you folks participated in a Maker Faire before? It's certainly not tailored just for kids.

                          Yes! MARCH participated in every year of the World (formerly "New York")
                          Maker Faire's existence.

                          The first year, we demonstrated modern hacks for vintage computers.

                          The second year, we had a much smaller "we're here!" table within a
                          larger InfoAge booth.

                          The third year (last year), we did an Apple 1 replica exhibit, which was
                          a resounding success.

                          We want to avoid merely "showing" vintage computer stuff. The spirit of
                          Maker Faire is to * make * something, not just to be there with
                          previously made stuff. :)

                          So I figure it'll be a nice change of pace to do something kid-specific,
                          with a heavy focus on education, that also teaches some history.

                          Alternatively, if someone here has a killer idea for something
                          new/creative that MARCHins can "make" on time for the show, then I'm all
                          ears.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                            On 06/11/2013 12:22 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
                            > One thing's for sure: dumb down the exhibits for the masses. Be
                            > entertaining. Get folks hooked on how cool technology used to be! Run
                            > music programs on your PDP-8/Es, not FORTRAN! :)

                            Yuck. That just reinforces today's view of computers as being just toys.

                            I'm all for dumbing down, but let's treat the equipment (and its
                            history) with some respect. These machines are not toys.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                              On 06/11/2013 10:36 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                              >> Guys, I'm all for having fun at Microsoft's expense ... but does anyone
                              >> have any * actual * ideas for the Maker Faire exhibit concept? I'm
                              >> looking for ideas that are very kid-friendly and easy to implement.
                              >
                              > A Dec "Computer Lab". Herb has one, or used to anyway.

                              I have one of those, but I lack the jumpers. Standard banana plugs
                              don't quite fit.

                              I think it'd be tough to hold the attention of an average Joe on the
                              street for long enough to explain what a "gate" does, but I could be
                              (and hope I am) wrong.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • Systems Glitch
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                                > I think it'd be tough to hold the attention of an average Joe on the
                                > street for long enough to explain what a "gate" does, but I could be
                                > (and hope I am) wrong.

                                One of the marble/"waterfall" adders or something might be interesting to people. Doubt anyone is just going to whip one together though -- the ones I've seen are usually the result of someone's computer and woodworking hobbies colliding.

                                Thanks,
                                Jonathan
                              • Cory Smelosky
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                                  On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                  > On 06/11/2013 12:22 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
                                  >> One thing's for sure: dumb down the exhibits for the masses. Be
                                  >> entertaining. Get folks hooked on how cool technology used to be! Run
                                  >> music programs on your PDP-8/Es, not FORTRAN! :)
                                  >
                                  > Yuck. That just reinforces today's view of computers as being just toys.

                                  Well, I'd disagree with running music programs as making it a toy...I'd
                                  work it in to being a real musical instrument. That could be related to
                                  my interest in music though. ;)

                                  > I'm all for dumbing down, but let's treat the equipment (and its
                                  > history) with some respect. These machines are not toys.
                                  >
                                  > -Dave
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  > New Kensington, PA

                                  Cory Smelosky
                                  http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
                                  http://gimme-sympathy.org Experiments
                                • Ben Greenfield
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013

                                    On Jun 11, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

                                    > I think it'd be tough to hold the attention of an average Joe on the
                                    > street for long enough to explain what a "gate" does, but I could be
                                    > (and hope I am) wrong.

                                    I'm 100% serious with this suggestion I think that there are aspects of square dancing that could be mixed into the maze aspect.

                                    Have a caller syncing up everyone while they navigate the maze.

                                    My .02$

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                                      On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Ben Greenfield wrote:

                                      > On Jun 11, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >>> I think it'd be tough to hold the attention of an average Joe on the
                                      >>> street for long enough to explain what a "gate" does, but I could be
                                      >>> (and hope I am) wrong.
                                      >>

                                      > I'm 100% serious with this suggestion I think that there are aspects of square dancing that could be mixed into the maze aspect.

                                      Square dancing, eh? You've caught me too late. :( It's been years since
                                      I've touched my violin!

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                                        On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4@...> wrote:

                                        On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                        > On 06/11/2013 12:22 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
                                        >> One thing's for sure: dumb down the exhibits for the masses. Be
                                        >> entertaining. Get folks hooked on how cool technology used to be! Run
                                        >> music programs on your PDP-8/Es, not FORTRAN! :)
                                        >
                                        > Yuck. That just reinforces today's view of computers as being just toys.

                                        Well, I'd disagree with running music programs as making it a toy...I'd
                                        work it in to being a real musical instrument. That could be related to
                                        my interest in music though. ;)

                                        Right. I have been a musician for 15 years and am under the impression that musical computers not only appeal to a wide audience (most people enjoy music), they also show that this kind of technology existed "back in the day" and that digital music was not invented with the iPod. These programs were developed back in the '60s and '70s, and people surely didn't think of minicomputers as toys, right? Look at games like Spacewar! and DICE.BIN: people had fun with big, expensive computers. The "Expensive Desktop" series of programs too. Anyways, as a "young whippersnapper", I'm thinking about my peers and what appeals to them, not what necessarily appeals to me. Personally, I'm all about creating some practical programs for my machines and using them "like they were intended." But for a display in front of hundreds of laypeople, you have to be entertaining to be noticed.

                                        Again, it was mostly adults that even were slightly amused at Tic-Tac-Toe on my 6800. The kids went straight for King's Quest. Playing "The Entertainer" on the 6800 drew some more people in. Stuff like this is entertaining, as it's actually pretty good music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68qZ8JvBds

                                        Maybe it's just me, but I'm all about sharing this hobby to more people and get some general interest, even if it means emphasizing the more fun aspects of vintage computing. I personally think of it more as a hook into the fascinating realm of vintage computers than a reinforcement of these computers as toys.

                                        Kyle
                                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 11, 2013
                                          Kyle Owen <kylevowen@...> writes:

                                          >On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4@...> wrote:

                                          >> > Yuck. That just reinforces today's view of computers as being just toys.
                                          >> >

                                          >> Well, I'd disagree with running music programs as making it a toy...I'd
                                          >> work it in to being a real musical instrument. That could be related to
                                          >> my interest in music though. ;)
                                          >>

                                          >Right. I have been a musician for 15 years and am under the impression that
                                          >musical computers not only appeal to a wide audience (most people enjoy
                                          >music), they also show that this kind of technology existed "back in the
                                          >day" and that digital music was not invented with the iPod. These programs
                                          >were developed back in the '60s and '70s, and people surely didn't think of
                                          >minicomputers as toys, right?

                                          I was back in the day. If you're really interested in computer and music
                                          technology of the '60 and, especially, the '70 and what could be done with
                                          analog synthesis coupled with the computer, check out what Larry Fast (Yes,
                                          I know him and he's a native New Jerseyan.) pioneered by marrying the two.

                                          http://synergy-emusic.com/

                                          What Larry did on "Sequencer" in 1975 is still amazing today. It's worth
                                          a listen if you haven't heard it before. Larry was making serious music;
                                          he wasn't "toying" around.

                                        • Jeff Jonas
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                                            > Here's the big idea for a MARCH exhibit at Maker Faire this year.

                                            > We can get a 20x20 space and build a "Be the Bit" maze
                                            > out of PVC (frame) and painter's tarps (walls).
                                            > The exhibit will target families.

                                            I forgot the precise genesis of this idea. Evan and I were brainstorming while sorting parts in the "H" warehouse and I remember suggesting "you are the program" where you must execute a basic-like program with a GOTO with every step so you cannot just follow the charts in order. Like a "choose your story" book, it allows for multiple stories and different endings (ABEND! core dump!), or all the same ending (exit 0). More advanced programs would gosub/return, perhaps using musical notation like "to coda" since that's the same concept! So to answer those asking for more complex things: we already thought of that and Evan applied KISS.

                                            More complex would be punching everyone a paper tape with their name and perhaps some binary, so reading back the tape "runs the program" as they sneakernet the tape from one device to another. At least it would be an excuse for not just getting a paper tape but having to use it for something.

                                            Evan even thought ahead to layout/composition and keeping the staffing to just 2-3 people.

                                            And as folks have realized, it's extremely re-useable and applicable to MARCH's addressing the younger audience at Infoage too.
                                          • Mike
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                              My assumption is that most of the Maker Faire attendees have at least a passing interest in "making" stuff.

                                              Flash Corliss at VCF-atlanta had a display of reproduction/kit computers - Mark 8, Cosmac elf, etc. Would have been a very relevant Maker Faire exhibit. Another angle might be restoration of original gear - show a badly beat up garage find next to a completely restored and operating unit.

                                              Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.

                                              By the way, does MARCH have handouts/info sheets that they give away to interested parties at these shows? If not, I may be able to help in that area.

                                              Regards,
                                              Mike W.
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
                                                > Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
                                                > is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
                                                > like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.

                                                Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
                                                terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
                                                RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
                                                like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
                                                before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
                                                watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
                                                playing.

                                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                New Kensington, PA
                                              • Bill Sudbrink
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                  Mike wrote:
                                                  > My assumption is that most of the Maker Faire attendees
                                                  > have at least a passing interest in "making" stuff.

                                                  That sort of matches up with a VCF display I'm planning to
                                                  do some day titled "So You Say You've Built A Computer".

                                                  The display would be broken into segments like:

                                                  Did you use a screwdriver? How about a drill or saw?
                                                  This section would contain information and artifacts
                                                  about the simple mechanical aspects involved in a
                                                  vintage computer chassis. I have a number of hacked
                                                  up chassis examples. Would contain various info about
                                                  mounting your own power supply, fans and other cooling
                                                  requirements, various switches, etc.

                                                  Did you customize your OS? How about your bus?
                                                  This section would show various add in cards (mostly S-100)
                                                  and describe the process involved in setting them up and
                                                  modifying the OS to use them. It would also describe the
                                                  loose interpretation of some "standards" that ended up making
                                                  cards that should be compatible incompatible. Display some
                                                  of the really "wacky" cards with dozens of jumpers to try to
                                                  cover all of the bases.

                                                  Did you use a soldering iron? How about wire wrap?
                                                  Did you copy the circuit out of a magazine? Did you
                                                  design your own?
                                                  This section would show full kits, bare boards and
                                                  proto-boards and describe the process of construction
                                                  and testing. I have a couple of unassembled S-100
                                                  card kits. Also show vintage hobbyist magazines with
                                                  construction/design articles.

                                                  Bill S.
                                                • Cory Smelosky
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                    On 11 Jun 2013, at 14:32, "Kyle Owen" <kylevowen@...> wrote:

                                                    Again, it was mostly adults that even were slightly amused at Tic-Tac-Toe on my 6800. The kids went straight for King's Quest. Playing "The Entertainer" on the 6800 drew some more people in. Stuff like this is entertaining, as it's actually pretty good music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w68qZ8JvBds

                                                    I like that guy’s stuff.  His stuff is what made me want some DECtalk gear so I could do some similar stuff.

                                                    Maybe it's just me, but I'm all about sharing this hobby to more people and get some general interest, even if it means emphasizing the more fun aspects of vintage computing. I personally think of it more as a hook into the fascinating realm of vintage computers than a reinforcement of these computers as toys.

                                                    Kyle

                                                  • Ray Sills
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                      On Jun 13, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                                      > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
                                                      >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
                                                      >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
                                                      >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
                                                      >
                                                      > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
                                                      > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
                                                      > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those
                                                      > games
                                                      > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
                                                      > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating
                                                      > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then
                                                      > started
                                                      > playing.
                                                      >
                                                      > -Dave
                                                      >
                                                      > --
                                                      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                      > New Kensington, PA

                                                      That's the way a lot of kids operate: they push buttons, flip
                                                      switches, and observe what happens. Eventually, (often quickly) they
                                                      figure out what does what and are able to map that into their brains
                                                      and begin serious usage. They simply are not intimidated by something
                                                      "complex and difficult" to understand. You should see my 2 1/2 year
                                                      old grandson navigate his way around my iPhone! Grownups, for
                                                      whatever reason, seem to be afraid of "doing the wrong thing" and
                                                      messing it up. Kids don't care.

                                                      73 de Ray
                                                    • Cory Smelosky
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                        On 13 Jun 2013, at 15:01, "Ray Sills" <raysills3@...> wrote:

[...]

                                                        I still solve problems that way.  I’m a /bit/ more cautious, but without that method of problem-solving, some of my problems would never get solved. ;)

                                                        I got a broken I/O module to work in a Cisco 7200 by removing a burning transistor or resistor from the board through brute force once.  It made it (mostly) work believe it or not...

                                                        73 de Ray

                                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                                           Individual Email | Traditional

                                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                                           midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                      • Mike Loewen
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                          On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                                          > On 06/13/2013 02:00 PM, Mike wrote:
                                                          >> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
                                                          >> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
                                                          >> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
                                                          >
                                                          > Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
                                                          > terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
                                                          > RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
                                                          > like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
                                                          > before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
                                                          > watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
                                                          > playing.

                                                          It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
                                                          on my HP 2109E:

                                                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

                                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                                        • Mike
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                            What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
                                                            one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

                                                            I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

                                                            Regards,
                                                            MIke W.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                              On 06/13/2013 05:44 PM, Mike wrote:
                                                              > What I'm saying is that if you have two systems, each loaded with a game,
                                                              > one with color and joystick and the other with a monochrome text and a keyboard sitting side by side and a kid walks up, the vast majority of kids will gravitate towards one rather than the other.

                                                              Oh yes, absolutely.

                                                              > I know that there are games running in monochrome text mode that any literate person would enjoy.

                                                              Sure. I was just sharing what happened, as I was surprised by it.

                                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 13, 2013
                                                                On 06/13/2013 04:10 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                                                >>> Kids like games, but I have noticed that the the more modern the game
                                                                >>> is, the better they like them. Color graphics and a joystick seem
                                                                >>> like the minimum baseline for most (but not all) kids.
                                                                >>
                                                                >> Just one data point here...My PDP-11/70 at VCF-E last year had a few
                                                                >> terminals running various text-based games. (and one just sitting at a
                                                                >> RSTS/E prompt, of course) Young kids, age 10 or so, took to those games
                                                                >> like ducks to water. They'd never been exposed to that sort of thing
                                                                >> before, but they seemed to intuitively "get it". It was fascinating to
                                                                >> watch their facial expressions as they figured it out, and then started
                                                                >> playing.
                                                                >
                                                                > It's not just kids. Here's Alex Bodnar engrossed in "Mystery Mansion"
                                                                > on my HP 2109E:
                                                                >
                                                                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/osr/7151170579/in/pool-810295@N25/lightbox/

                                                                :-)

                                                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ