RE: [midatlanticretro] retrobrite was Re: Today's rescue

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
      I read about retrobrite some time ago and was excited about the prospects.
      However, sounds like it may not last, and it may cause irreversible changes
      (perhaps making the plastic more brittle). That all being the case, I'm
      thinking it's not worth trying for my purposes. In most cases, the
      yellowing isn't too bad...but I have seen one or two old machines (nothing
      special by the way, just run of the mill semi-modern junk) that were so
      yellowed it was just nasty looking...in those cases, it would be nice to
      de-yellow it! Perhaps given more time, the chemists will figure out how to
      de-yellow without causing problems...or how to preserve plastic. I've got a
      1992 Dodge Caravan that I dream of fixing up as needed and driving for as
      long as possible...hopefully as long as I'm capable of driving anyway. :-)
      Yes, I know, and odd vehicle...but it was my first, and I figure given
      enough time, it will become a rarity...already don't see many left on the
      road! Anyway...I digress...point being, it has lots of plastic in its
      internal construction, dash, etc...I worry about the ravages of time, sun,
      heat, & humidity. So far it's holding up ok...but who knows what another 20
      years will do to it...same thing for our vintage machines, except they
      (hopefully) aren't hanging out in direct sunlight all the time.

      Wesley

      _____