[midatlanticretro] retrobrite was Re: Today's rescue

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > PS, vast majority of stuff that'll be for sale desperately needs Retr0brite.

      I have never understood the desire to retrobrite these machines. If I have a 30 year old machine, I expect it to look like a 30 year old machine.

      In other collectables, changing the exterior of the item seriously alters any value. Not that many of these machines have value.

      If you want to show what it looked like, have an advertisement or picture from the day available.

      Just my $0.02 on the subject of retrobrite.
      Kelly
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
        > > PS, vast majority of stuff that'll be for sale desperately needs
        Retr0brite.

        > I have never understood the desire to retrobrite these machines. If I
        have a 30 year old machine, I expect it to look like a 30 year old machine.

        > In other collectables, changing the exterior of the item seriously alters
        any value. Not that many of these machines have value.

        > If you want to show what it looked like, have an advertisement or picture
        from the day available.

        > Just my $0.02 on the subject of retrobrite.
        > Kelly

        One thing that people could be doing is shining up stuff for sale on Ebay.
        Two years later the buyer finds out the hard way, but by then the seller is
        long gone.

        Bill
      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
          I read about retrobrite some time ago and was excited about the prospects.
          However, sounds like it may not last, and it may cause irreversible changes
          (perhaps making the plastic more brittle). That all being the case, I'm
          thinking it's not worth trying for my purposes. In most cases, the
          yellowing isn't too bad...but I have seen one or two old machines (nothing
          special by the way, just run of the mill semi-modern junk) that were so
          yellowed it was just nasty looking...in those cases, it would be nice to
          de-yellow it! Perhaps given more time, the chemists will figure out how to
          de-yellow without causing problems...or how to preserve plastic. I've got a
          1992 Dodge Caravan that I dream of fixing up as needed and driving for as
          long as possible...hopefully as long as I'm capable of driving anyway. :-)
          Yes, I know, and odd vehicle...but it was my first, and I figure given
          enough time, it will become a rarity...already don't see many left on the
          road! Anyway...I digress...point being, it has lots of plastic in its
          internal construction, dash, etc...I worry about the ravages of time, sun,
          heat, & humidity. So far it's holding up ok...but who knows what another 20
          years will do to it...same thing for our vintage machines, except they
          (hopefully) aren't hanging out in direct sunlight all the time.

          Wesley

          _____