Re: CP/M Multiplan

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "who88777" <john@...> wrote:

      > I'd be happy with a [Multiplan] version for any CP/M system at this point.
      >
      > My project is to get this running on my IMSAI 8080. Since I don't think a version was released for this machine its going to take a lot of work get that going regardless of which machine was originally targeted (this is my idea of a fun project :).

      The idea of "targeted machines" for 1970's software is historically incorrect. It's an idea based on 21st century "branding" experience. There were many many CP/M systems, few of them were dominant. The facts were, that much early CP/M software was not customized for one brand, or one terminal or display.

      CP/M became the "target" for many disk-based programs; *the user* then customized the screen display software to match whatever terminal or video card was in use. Wordstar is the classic example, it included a program to set it up for various displays using either "escape sequences" or calls to video routines.

      Multiplan was a little later in the "game" and there were likely both generic CP/M versions, and specific "product" (brand) versions. I don't recall the specifics of Multiplan, there were other similar products in the era.

      I'm not saying there were no "brands" in the 70's and going into the 80's, or "targeted" software. But it took time for that to happen. Tandy, Osborne, Commodore, Apple (II) etc certainly had "brands" and software unique to their products. But the 1976 IMSAI and S-100 systems were sold not because of the "IMSAI" brand, but because they were *generic*, adaptable, expandable, and NOT locked in to one "brand". Generic and open standards, was one of the many concepts which IBM adopted with their 1981 IBM-PC, because that was the "market" they sought to enter - using their *brand* as the deal-closer.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com