CP/M Multiplan

  • John Sully
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
      Does anybody have a working copy of this?  It appears to be very hard to find these days.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 02:40 PM, John Sully wrote:
        > Does anybody have a working copy of this? It appears to be very hard to
        > find these days.

        I have it in a simh-compatible disk image; would that be helpful?

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
          On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 11:40:33AM -0700, John Sully wrote:
          > Does anybody have a working copy of this? It appears to be very hard to
          > find these days.

          The RX50 DECMate version is around.

          ftp://ftp.dbit.com/pub/pdp8/images/
          http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-8/diskimages/rx50/

          I did create disks for a III with the CP/M board that worked. I think I used
          dbit block images with putr but not positive.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
            4 which system

            > Does anybody have a working copy of this? It appears to be very hard to
            > find these days.
          • who88777
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
              I'd be happy with a version for any CP/M system at this point.

              My project is to get this running on my IMSAI 8080. Since I don't think a version was released for this machine its going to take a lot of work get that going regardless of which machine was originally targeted (this is my idea of a fun project :).

              > 4 which system

            • who88777
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
                Yes that would help me. Any version would be useful to me as long as its 8-bit 8080/Z-80 and targets CP/M.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
                  Sent in private mail.

                  -Dave

                  --
                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 10, 2013
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "who88777" <john@...> wrote:

                    > I'd be happy with a [Multiplan] version for any CP/M system at this point.
                    >
                    > My project is to get this running on my IMSAI 8080. Since I don't think a version was released for this machine its going to take a lot of work get that going regardless of which machine was originally targeted (this is my idea of a fun project :).

                    The idea of "targeted machines" for 1970's software is historically incorrect. It's an idea based on 21st century "branding" experience. There were many many CP/M systems, few of them were dominant. The facts were, that much early CP/M software was not customized for one brand, or one terminal or display.

                    CP/M became the "target" for many disk-based programs; *the user* then customized the screen display software to match whatever terminal or video card was in use. Wordstar is the classic example, it included a program to set it up for various displays using either "escape sequences" or calls to video routines.

                    Multiplan was a little later in the "game" and there were likely both generic CP/M versions, and specific "product" (brand) versions. I don't recall the specifics of Multiplan, there were other similar products in the era.

                    I'm not saying there were no "brands" in the 70's and going into the 80's, or "targeted" software. But it took time for that to happen. Tandy, Osborne, Commodore, Apple (II) etc certainly had "brands" and software unique to their products. But the 1976 IMSAI and S-100 systems were sold not because of the "IMSAI" brand, but because they were *generic*, adaptable, expandable, and NOT locked in to one "brand". Generic and open standards, was one of the many concepts which IBM adopted with their 1981 IBM-PC, because that was the "market" they sought to enter - using their *brand* as the deal-closer.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com