Re: [midatlanticretro] Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 91 , Jun 2, 2013
      On Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Kyle Owen wrote:

      > On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
      >
      > http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/query_docs/view.pl?id=188
      >
      > The first are simple instruction tests. The console print test and echo
      > test are good for checking out your console serial port. The visisble
      > increment AC test is what it says. The shifting lights will be a good first
      > program for learning the PDP-8 instruction set.
      >
      > After I get the toggle in and console working then I toggle in RIM, load
      > over the console serial BIN, then run the 8/E maindecs, then run focal/basic
      > etc. To load basic or focal programs (not the bin tape) over the console
      > you will need to either convert reader run to RS-232 flow control or use a
      > program that can put pauses at end of line etc.
      >

      > I got my new bulbs Friday! I ordered 50 (for ~$27 shipped from Mouser) of the 12V high brightness type, and they look perfect. I replaced all of the bulbs with
      > these, just to make sure they'd match.
      >
      > As you suggested, I made the shifting lights program by hand compiling it as a first learning experience of the instruction set. Here's a
      > video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ9H1vqdIDM
      >
      > Next step: get my serial interface card going. Were there any common failures on the M8650? Mine just puts out a few random characters to the terminal every few
      > seconds when the computer is on. Turned off, there's nothing coming in, so I doubt it's a high noise problem on my cables. I'm just using a few feet of Cat 5.

      I doubt this...but have you cleaned all contacts and pins?

      --
      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff
      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ