ROLM 1602

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2013
      Hi,

      I picked up the control panel for an ROLM 1602 today.

      It is very rugged! Takes a dozen screws just to get the back cover off!

      I'm curious what a control panel like this goes for $$$ (I wonder if I paid too much?)

      :)J
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1 3:53 AM
        forget wear and tear, if you have an early altair with original motherboards(with hundreds if little wires connecting them) not a replacment one as about 99% of them did (for reliability), then you know it's like owning an Italian sports car. You use it and just wait for something to break so you can fix It. I would think of this replica as your daily driver and you only take the fragile one out on weekends.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1 11:21 AM
          On 06/01/2013 12:22 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
          >>> Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ... all
          >>> of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case
          >>> is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100
          >>> cards ... but it's interesting for $621.
          >>>

          >> This device is a front panel run by a microcontroller chip, which emulates the 8080 and some amount of memory for it and has a serial port. Please, please go to the Web site and read the details and don't speculate on what it might do - read what it does.
          >>
          >> Herb Johnson
          >
          > And what it does NOT. ie, it will NOT play RFI music to an AM radio.
          >
          > :)J

          Oh good heavens...you talk like the only application for an Altair is to
          play music. ;)

          When I get my S-100 system back up and running (which is progressing), I'm
          going to do some embedded development on it, for work, just because.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1 1:09 PM
            Per Dave's comment about about actually using an S100 system...CompuPro had serious and competitive 696 S100 systems well into the 386 era.
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2 4:21 AM

              > When I get my S-100 system back up and running (which is progressing), I'm
              > going to do some embedded development on it, for work, just because.
              >
              > -Dave

              When I interviewed for my current embedded software consulting position, the hardware Director and I got into a discussion about our two S-100 machines, and the VP of Engineering learned to program on a Z80.

              Bob
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2 6:14 PM
                On Jun 2, 2013, at 7:21 AM, "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                >> When I get my S-100 system back up and running (which is progressing), I'm
                >> going to do some embedded development on it, for work, just because.
                >>
                >> -Dave
                >
                > When I interviewed for my current embedded software consulting position, the hardware Director and I got into a discussion about our two S-100 machines, and the VP of Engineering learned to program on a Z80.

                Awesome. That gig sounds like a keeper!

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ