A new Altair clone(-ish)

    Message 1 of 12 , May 30, 2013
      Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ... all
      of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case
      is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100
      cards ... but it's interesting for $621.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2013
        >From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
        > Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ... all  of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case  is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100 cards ... but it's interesting for $621.

        I may get flack for this, but I think this is cool.
        This is great for people who want to offer a hands on experience of a Altair and not put so much wear and tear on an Altair..
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2013

          > >From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
          > > Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ... all  of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case  is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100 cards ... but it's interesting for $621.
          >
          > I may get flack for this, but I think this is cool.
          > This is great for people who want to offer a hands on experience of a Altair and not put so much wear and tear on an Altair..

          I do not judge any system, even replica's. I have a few replica's myself and value them as much as the original's. I think it's absolutely wonderful that such elaborate replica's are being built!

          What's really confusing is my COSMAC ELF. It's built from the same chips I used on my original ELF, I threw out the original chassis but kept the chips. Now that I rebuilt it, is it original or a replica?

          It's a rhetorical question, in so far that I love it just the same as the first day I entered 7B3000

          :)J
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2013

            > > >From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
            > > > Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ...
            all of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case
            is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100
            cards ... but it's interesting for $621.

            > > I may get flack for this, but I think this is cool.
            > > This is great for people who want to offer a hands on experience of a
            Altair and not put so much wear and tear on an Altair..

            > I do not judge any system, even replica's. I have a few replica's myself
            and value them as much as the original's. I think it's absolutely
            wonderful that such elaborate replica's are being built!

            It's not much different than buying one of those modern Intel PC's wedged
            into a c-64 keyboard,
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2013

              > Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ... all
              > of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case
              > is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100
              > cards ... but it's interesting for $621.

              This device is a front panel run by a microcontroller chip, which emulates the 8080 and some amount of memory for it and has a serial port. Please, please go to the Web site and read the details and don't speculate on what it might do - read what it does.

              Herb Johnson
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2013

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz <evan@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ... all
                > > of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case
                > > is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100
                > > cards ... but it's interesting for $621.
                > >

                > This device is a front panel run by a microcontroller chip, which emulates the 8080 and some amount of memory for it and has a serial port. Please, please go to the Web site and read the details and don't speculate on what it might do - read what it does.
                >
                > Herb Johnson

                And what it does NOT. ie, it will NOT play RFI music to an AM radio.

                :)J
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I picked up the control panel for an ROLM 1602 today.

                  It is very rugged! Takes a dozen screws just to get the back cover off!

                  I'm curious what a control panel like this goes for $$$ (I wonder if I paid too much?)

                  :)J
                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                    forget wear and tear, if you have an early altair with original motherboards(with hundreds if little wires connecting them) not a replacment one as about 99% of them did (for reliability), then you know it's like owning an Italian sports car. You use it and just wait for something to break so you can fix It. I would think of this replica as your daily driver and you only take the fragile one out on weekends.

                    Cheers,
                    Corey

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                      On 06/01/2013 12:22 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                      >>> Saw this on vintage-computer.com: http://altairclone.com/faq.htm ... all
                      >>> of the important parts are in the front panel and the rest of the case
                      >>> is empty, so somebody would have to build an expansion bus to run S100
                      >>> cards ... but it's interesting for $621.
                      >>>

                      >> This device is a front panel run by a microcontroller chip, which emulates the 8080 and some amount of memory for it and has a serial port. Please, please go to the Web site and read the details and don't speculate on what it might do - read what it does.
                      >>
                      >> Herb Johnson
                      >
                      > And what it does NOT. ie, it will NOT play RFI music to an AM radio.
                      >
                      > :)J

                      Oh good heavens...you talk like the only application for an Altair is to
                      play music. ;)

                      When I get my S-100 system back up and running (which is progressing), I'm
                      going to do some embedded development on it, for work, just because.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                        Per Dave's comment about about actually using an S100 system...CompuPro had serious and competitive 696 S100 systems well into the 386 era.
                        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                      • Bob Applegate
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 2, 2013

                          > When I get my S-100 system back up and running (which is progressing), I'm
                          > going to do some embedded development on it, for work, just because.
                          >
                          > -Dave

                          When I interviewed for my current embedded software consulting position, the hardware Director and I got into a discussion about our two S-100 machines, and the VP of Engineering learned to program on a Z80.

                          Bob
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 2, 2013
                            On Jun 2, 2013, at 7:21 AM, "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:
                            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                            >> When I get my S-100 system back up and running (which is progressing), I'm
                            >> going to do some embedded development on it, for work, just because.
                            >>
                            >> -Dave
                            >
                            > When I interviewed for my current embedded software consulting position, the hardware Director and I got into a discussion about our two S-100 machines, and the VP of Engineering learned to program on a Z80.

                            Awesome. That gig sounds like a keeper!

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ