Re: [midatlanticretro] Geniac

    Message 1 of 22 , May 29 2:41 PM
      On 05/29/2013 05:35 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      > 1955-58 Geniac:
      > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=520
      > Bill

      Like!
    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 22 , May 29 4:43 PM
        On 05/29/2013 05:35 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > 1955-58 Geniac:
        > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=520
        > Bill

        Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in the
        consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that. It
        was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.

        Kelly
        Message 3 of 22 , May 29 4:51 PM
          >> John Dilks that had it.

          A.k.a. the producer of Personal Computing Conference '76, in Atlantic City, and a VCF East veteran.
        • David Comley
          Message 4 of 22 , May 29 5:20 PM

            On May 29, 2013, at 19:51, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

            >> John Dilks that had it.

            A.k.a. the producer of Personal Computing Conference '76, in Atlantic City, and a VCF East veteran.

            And author of an excellent monthly column on Antique Radio in QST magazine. It was the column I turned to first in each edition (until my ARRL subscription expired early this year).

            -Dave
            KB3HOW
            Message 5 of 22 , May 29 6:01 PM
              It wasnt a geniac..
              --
              Sent from my PDP 8/e.
              Message 6 of 22 , May 29 6:19 PM
                >> Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in the consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that. It was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.

                I believe you are thinking of NJARC's Ray Chase. He sold a Minivac 601. I know which MARCHin bought it, but I don't recall if the buyer made it known.
              • Kelly D. Leavitt
                Message 7 of 22 , May 29 6:55 PM
                  >> Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in
                  the consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that.
                  It was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.

                  > It wasnt a geniac..

                  It had the same assortment of wires and fiberboard disks. If it wasn't a
                  geniac it was a conceptual "clone". It was new in the (greenish) box
                  with the original mailing label. It was a kit with instructions on how
                  to build a hand operated computational device.

                  It wasn't an exhibit, and I'm pretty sure it was John Dilks but not
                  100%. He introduced himself as the guy that writes the antique radio
                  column in QST, but he could have very well been a guest writer.

                  Looking at the manual on the far right in your picture I'm sure that was
                  the device the guy was peddling. He wanted $400 for it and almost
                  everyone laughed at the price. The outer shipping box was mildewy and a
                  bit sprung at the edges. Looking at the images at
                  http://www.oldcomputermuseum.com/geniac.html convinces me that is what
                  he had. Greenish box and all.

                  I had to leave it in the antiques wireless room for him. No one was
                  interested at all. This was not last year's VCF but the one before that
                  (or even the one before that).
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 29 6:59 PM
                    Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    >>> Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in the
                    >consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that. It
                    >was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.
                    >
                    >I believe you are thinking of NJARC's Ray Chase. He sold a Minivac 601.
                    >I know which MARCHin bought it, but I don't recall if the buyer made it
                    >known.

                    Herb I think

                    --
                    Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                  • Kelly D. Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 29 7:02 PM
                      I've sent an email to Mr. Dilks because I'm now foubting that it was
                      actually him.
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 29 7:03 PM
                        >> It had the same assortment of wires and fiberboard disks. ... introduced himself as the guy that writes the antique radio column in QST

                        Oh okay. Not what I was thinking of.
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 29 8:20 PM

                          > Looking at the manual on the far right in your picture I'm sure that was
                          > the device the guy was peddling. He wanted $400 for it and almost
                          > everyone laughed at the price. The outer shipping box was mildewy and a
                          > bit sprung at the edges. Looking at the images at
                          > http://www.oldcomputermuseum.com/geniac.html convinces me that is what
                          > he had. Greenish box and all.
                          >
                          > I had to leave it in the antiques wireless room for him. No one was
                          > interested at all. This was not last year's VCF but the one before that
                          > (or even the one before that).
                          >

                          > ------------------------------------

                          Well...i remember a Minivac was being sold on consignment I dont remember a
                          GENIAC, but so be it. One recently sold by Christie's Auction House for
                          more than $2100. I have seen them sell for less than $300 and I paid much
                          less for mine. You never know what that kind of thing will sell for, very
                          obscure. Not too many personal programmable devices older than a Geniac
                          that I know of. Certainly historic and worthy of preservation.
                          Bill
                        • Kelly D. Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 30 4:14 AM
                            Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                            and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.

                            At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                            Dilks is very easy to reach.

                            Kelly
                          • Jeff Galinat
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 30 6:50 AM
                              On 5/30/2013 7:14 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                              Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                              and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.

                              At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                              Dilks is very easy to reach.

                              Kelly

                              Hi Kelly,
                                That was me who contacted John.  I would not have contacted John directly if that was mentioned in your message (see above).  I did not interpret your "If anyone is interested, Mr. Dilks is very easy to reach." as contact you instead.  I apologize but I hope you can see how your message could be misinterpreted.
                              Regards,
                              Jeff
                            • christian_liendo
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 30 6:56 AM
                                > 1955-58 Geniac:
                                > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=520
                                > Bill

                                Nice.. Your box is in good condition as well.
                                My box is pretty much torn apart.
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 30 7:27 AM
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 30 8:05 AM
                                    Looks like a fun project

                                    I would build one from scratch, but put in ALL contacts and bring the wires from each contact out to tip jacks on a front panel in the pattern of the switch. it could then be programed with jumper wires quickly and from the front.

                                    Duane

                                      I had an original Geniac, but unfortunately the Masonite boards deteriorated to the point that I had to dump it. Too bad! I must say that even in its better days, the multiple mechanical switch contacts that needed to be made on the wheels, were not very reliable connections. I remember constructing the Tic-Tac-Toe machine and it was tough to demonstrate. None the less, it was a fun project.

                                      The Computer History Museum out in California has a complete archive of Edmund C. Berkeley, so I donated my Geniac/Braniac manuals to them some time back.

                                      Ron K
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 30 8:48 AM

                                        > FYI
                                        > I had an original Geniac, but unfortunately the Masonite boards
                                        deteriorated to the point that I had to dump it. Too bad! I must say that
                                        even in its better days, the multiple mechanical switch contacts that
                                        needed to be made on the wheels, were not very reliable connections. I
                                        remember constructing the Tic-Tac-Toe machine and it was tough to
                                        demonstrate. None the less, it was a fun project.

                                        > The Computer History Museum out in California has a complete archive of
                                        Edmund C. Berkeley, so I donated my Geniac/Braniac manuals to them some
                                        time back.

                                        > Ron K

                                        I scanned most GENIAC docs I have to PDF and posted on my site - just
                                        search "geniac" or locate from the directory page.
                                        Bill
                                      • joshbensadon
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 30 10:15 AM
                                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly D. Leavitt" <kelly@...> wrote:

                                          > Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                                          > and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.
                                          >
                                          > At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                                          > Dilks is very easy to reach.
                                          >
                                          > Kelly

                                          Hi Kelly, Reading your other posts, does Mr. Dilks want us to contact him through you? Which S-100 Systems does he have for sale?

                                          Specifically, I am looking for a SOL-20.

                                          Regards,
                                          Josh
                                        • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 30 10:26 AM
                                            I have to completly divest myself of this discusion. I can offer no suggestions as how to proceed.

                                            Kelly

                                            > Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                                            > and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.
                                            >
                                            > At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                                            > Dilks is very easy to reach.
                                            >
                                            > Kelly

                                            Hi Kelly, Reading your other posts, does Mr. Dilks want us to contact him through you? Which S-100 Systems does he have for sale?

                                            Specifically, I am looking for a SOL-20.

                                            Regards,
                                            Josh

                                            _____

                                            No virus found in this message.
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 30 10:29 AM
                                              >> does Mr. Dilks want us to contact him through you? Which S-100 Systems does he have for sale?

                                              I informed John that he's welcome to post here if/when he wants to
                                              actively sell anything. Until then, we should let it rest.