Geniac

    Message 1 of 22 , May 29, 2013
      Message 2 of 22 , May 29, 2013
        On 05/29/2013 05:35 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > 1955-58 Geniac:
        > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=520
        > Bill

        Like!
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 22 , May 29, 2013
          On 05/29/2013 05:35 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > 1955-58 Geniac:
          > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=520
          > Bill

          Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in the
          consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that. It
          was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.

          Kelly
          Message 4 of 22 , May 29, 2013
            >> John Dilks that had it.

            A.k.a. the producer of Personal Computing Conference '76, in Atlantic City, and a VCF East veteran.
          • David Comley
            Message 5 of 22 , May 29, 2013

              On May 29, 2013, at 19:51, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

              >> John Dilks that had it.

              A.k.a. the producer of Personal Computing Conference '76, in Atlantic City, and a VCF East veteran.

              And author of an excellent monthly column on Antique Radio in QST magazine. It was the column I turned to first in each edition (until my ARRL subscription expired early this year).

              -Dave
              KB3HOW
              Message 6 of 22 , May 29, 2013
                It wasnt a geniac..
                --
                Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                Message 7 of 22 , May 29, 2013
                  >> Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in the consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that. It was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.

                  I believe you are thinking of NJARC's Ray Chase. He sold a Minivac 601. I know which MARCHin bought it, but I don't recall if the buyer made it known.
                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 29, 2013
                    >> Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in
                    the consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that.
                    It was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.

                    > It wasnt a geniac..

                    It had the same assortment of wires and fiberboard disks. If it wasn't a
                    geniac it was a conceptual "clone". It was new in the (greenish) box
                    with the original mailing label. It was a kit with instructions on how
                    to build a hand operated computational device.

                    It wasn't an exhibit, and I'm pretty sure it was John Dilks but not
                    100%. He introduced himself as the guy that writes the antique radio
                    column in QST, but he could have very well been a guest writer.

                    Looking at the manual on the far right in your picture I'm sure that was
                    the device the guy was peddling. He wanted $400 for it and almost
                    everyone laughed at the price. The outer shipping box was mildewy and a
                    bit sprung at the edges. Looking at the images at
                    http://www.oldcomputermuseum.com/geniac.html convinces me that is what
                    he had. Greenish box and all.

                    I had to leave it in the antiques wireless room for him. No one was
                    interested at all. This was not last year's VCF but the one before that
                    (or even the one before that).
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 29, 2013
                      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                      >>> Was that from the guy at the antique museum? He had one in the
                      >consignment area a couple of years ago that looked just like that. It
                      >was K2TQN, John Dilks that had it.
                      >
                      >I believe you are thinking of NJARC's Ray Chase. He sold a Minivac 601.
                      >I know which MARCHin bought it, but I don't recall if the buyer made it
                      >known.

                      Herb I think

                      --
                      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                    • Kelly D. Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 29, 2013
                        I've sent an email to Mr. Dilks because I'm now foubting that it was
                        actually him.
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 29, 2013
                          >> It had the same assortment of wires and fiberboard disks. ... introduced himself as the guy that writes the antique radio column in QST

                          Oh okay. Not what I was thinking of.
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 29, 2013

                            > Looking at the manual on the far right in your picture I'm sure that was
                            > the device the guy was peddling. He wanted $400 for it and almost
                            > everyone laughed at the price. The outer shipping box was mildewy and a
                            > bit sprung at the edges. Looking at the images at
                            > http://www.oldcomputermuseum.com/geniac.html convinces me that is what
                            > he had. Greenish box and all.
                            >
                            > I had to leave it in the antiques wireless room for him. No one was
                            > interested at all. This was not last year's VCF but the one before that
                            > (or even the one before that).
                            >

                            > ------------------------------------

                            Well...i remember a Minivac was being sold on consignment I dont remember a
                            GENIAC, but so be it. One recently sold by Christie's Auction House for
                            more than $2100. I have seen them sell for less than $300 and I paid much
                            less for mine. You never know what that kind of thing will sell for, very
                            obscure. Not too many personal programmable devices older than a Geniac
                            that I know of. Certainly historic and worthy of preservation.
                            Bill
                          • Kelly D. Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                              Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                              and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.

                              At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                              Dilks is very easy to reach.

                              Kelly
                            • Jeff Galinat
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                On 5/30/2013 7:14 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                                and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.

                                At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                                Dilks is very easy to reach.

                                Kelly

                                Hi Kelly,
                                  That was me who contacted John.  I would not have contacted John directly if that was mentioned in your message (see above).  I did not interpret your "If anyone is interested, Mr. Dilks is very easy to reach." as contact you instead.  I apologize but I hope you can see how your message could be misinterpreted.
                                Regards,
                                Jeff
                              • christian_liendo
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                  > 1955-58 Geniac:
                                  > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=520
                                  > Bill

                                  Nice.. Your box is in good condition as well.
                                  My box is pretty much torn apart.
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                      Looks like a fun project

                                      I would build one from scratch, but put in ALL contacts and bring the wires from each contact out to tip jacks on a front panel in the pattern of the switch. it could then be programed with jumper wires quickly and from the front.

                                      Duane

                                        I had an original Geniac, but unfortunately the Masonite boards deteriorated to the point that I had to dump it. Too bad! I must say that even in its better days, the multiple mechanical switch contacts that needed to be made on the wheels, were not very reliable connections. I remember constructing the Tic-Tac-Toe machine and it was tough to demonstrate. None the less, it was a fun project.

                                        The Computer History Museum out in California has a complete archive of Edmund C. Berkeley, so I donated my Geniac/Braniac manuals to them some time back.

                                        Ron K
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 30, 2013

                                          > FYI
                                          > I had an original Geniac, but unfortunately the Masonite boards
                                          deteriorated to the point that I had to dump it. Too bad! I must say that
                                          even in its better days, the multiple mechanical switch contacts that
                                          needed to be made on the wheels, were not very reliable connections. I
                                          remember constructing the Tic-Tac-Toe machine and it was tough to
                                          demonstrate. None the less, it was a fun project.

                                          > The Computer History Museum out in California has a complete archive of
                                          Edmund C. Berkeley, so I donated my Geniac/Braniac manuals to them some
                                          time back.

                                          > Ron K

                                          I scanned most GENIAC docs I have to PDF and posted on my site - just
                                          search "geniac" or locate from the directory page.
                                          Bill
                                        • joshbensadon
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly D. Leavitt" <kelly@...> wrote:

                                            > Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                                            > and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.
                                            >
                                            > At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                                            > Dilks is very easy to reach.
                                            >
                                            > Kelly

                                            Hi Kelly, Reading your other posts, does Mr. Dilks want us to contact him through you? Which S-100 Systems does he have for sale?

                                            Specifically, I am looking for a SOL-20.

                                            Regards,
                                            Josh
                                          • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                              I have to completly divest myself of this discusion. I can offer no suggestions as how to proceed.

                                              Kelly

                                              > Just heard back from Mr. Dilks and he has confirmed that it was a Geniac
                                              > and he still has it,along with some S100 boards he would like to sell.
                                              >
                                              > At least I know the memory still works. If anyone is interested, Mr.
                                              > Dilks is very easy to reach.
                                              >
                                              > Kelly

                                              Hi Kelly, Reading your other posts, does Mr. Dilks want us to contact him through you? Which S-100 Systems does he have for sale?

                                              Specifically, I am looking for a SOL-20.

                                              Regards,
                                              Josh

                                              _____

                                              No virus found in this message.
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 30, 2013
                                                >> does Mr. Dilks want us to contact him through you? Which S-100 Systems does he have for sale?

                                                I informed John that he's welcome to post here if/when he wants to
                                                actively sell anything. Until then, we should let it rest.