Re: Photos from May 18-19 MARCH event weekend

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 13 , May 26, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

      > On May 24, 2013, at 4:14 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:
      >

      > > http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_13.html
      > >

      > Like the page, Herb, thanks for putting it up. I didn't get too many pictures this time myself.
      > [notes and Web link]

      Thanks, David for your support to me as well. David brought some DEC Pro 350 boards, in case I needed them.

      I'm taking the liberty of grabbing people's posted links and comments and adding them to my Web page. Of course contact me at my site (as some have) accordingly or with more notes, or to ID some of the photos. I've added a few more photos from other folks, as identified.

      Herb
      retrotechnology.com
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 13 , May 27, 2013
        On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:21:55AM -0400, David Comley wrote:
        > I also worked on my DG Nova 4/C and spent some time with Evan looking at
        > the club's Osborne 1.

        What was the final verdict on the caps? Did the leakage get down to more
        expected level and was is similar between the caps and segements?

        Have you plugged it in and did you get a super-nova?
      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2013

          >What was the final verdict on the caps? Did the leakage get down to more
          >expected level and was is similar between the caps and segements?
          It seemed different between segments. In each case, one segment had higher leakage - around 20mA - after reforming, while the other segment was lower, around 2mA.
          I plan to trace out the schematic if I can't find one online or amongst my DG stuff, and see how the segments are being used. I'm guessing that one segment is 'stressed' more in use than the other within each can, and when I reassemble the board I might reverse the segments so the stronger ones replace the weaker ones.
          >Have you plugged it in and did you get a super-nova?
          Haven't plugged it in yet. I want to get a better 220V supply to my bench first. That little gray transformer I had with me isn't up to the task of powering the Nova.
          If I do get a super-nova when I power it up, you'll probably see the light in the sky all the way from Maryland...
          -Dave

        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2013
            David Comley discusses with David Gesswein...

            > >What was the final verdict on the caps? Did the leakage get down to more
            > >expected level and was is similar between the caps and segements?

            > It seemed different between segments.

            > >Have you plugged it in and did you get a super-nova?

            > Haven't plugged it in yet....
            > If I do get a super-nova when I power it up, you'll probably see the light in the sky [in eastern PA] all the way from Maryland...
            > -Dave

            This made me laugh out loud. Oh, um...LOL.

            Thanks, Herb
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31, 2013
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

              > Pic #20 is Matthew Whitehead. I helped him out with the Qbus on Sunday when
              > dropped in for about 2 hours. Now photo of me there, however.

              I"ve been adding notes and updates as people contact me. Please continue to do so, send me links of your photos, I'll add the links with your permission. And I'll request photos of yours before I use
              them of course; you can do likewise.

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_13.html

              Got around to posting my PDP-8 photos of the repair, as conducted
              by David Gesswein mostly:

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/8f_fixitmay13.html

              hard to believe it was only two weeks ago. Busy month...

              Herb Johnson