Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Ferguson BigBoard disk help needed

    Message 1 of 18 , May 24, 2013
      On 05/25/2013 01:02 AM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

      >>> Good luck!
      >>
      >> Thanks! If I actually maintain motivation (it's been a long week)
      >> and make
      >> some progress on this tonight, I will report back, maybe with some
      >> pictures.
      >
      > That would be much appreciated if you maintain motivation.

      Well I've made some progress. No pics, because there's nothing much to
      take pictures of, because I can't get very far without a keyboard. The board
      comes up and does exactly what it's supposed to do with no keyboard...which
      is to generate blank video.

      But, no smoke! First, I verified that the CPU is actually executing code
      by looking at a few lines on the address and data buses with an oscilloscope,
      and they looked good. Then I looked at the composite video output, and that
      looked good too.

      Perhaps tomorrow I will rig up a parallel keyboard and get to the next
      step. You have to press <cr> to tell the ROM-based monitor to come up.

      I seem to recall something about the BigBoard being able to be jumpered to
      tell it to use one of the serial ports as the console, at least for the
      monitor, but I'll have to hit the manual for that. Perhaps tomorrow.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • enrlaz
      Message 2 of 18 , May 25, 2013
        Ciao Dave,
        you're taking the proper way to turn the card. Even with the the clock modification you mentioned it seems that the cleaning of the screen is the correct event. To me it happened that I had to press the CR on the keyboard. If I remember correctly the eighth bit of the keyboard connector must be connected to ground because the system knows forever to use the keyboard parallel. I'm not having keyboards parallel I built a PS2 adapter to parallel for to use any ps2 keyboard. If you are familiar with the RS232 signals with the help of rs232 interface analyzer you can check the correct jumpers to do and connect to the card using sw like teratem via RS232. I have created a special selfbuilt cable to use a 3.5 "drive that I use normally. On Bitsavers you can find magazine Microcornucopia whose good part of the first issues was scanned by me wanting to delve into the context of those old times of the board. At that time an Italian compait first turn on http://www.vintagesbc.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Foto2858.jpg . Here and below , however, you can see other cards that have made ​​further changes as i said http://www.vintagesbc.it/?page_id=305 All pages have a flag in the upper right to get the not perfect, but (right for me ;) ) automatic translation by google service.
        Regards
        Enrico