Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Acquired a PDP-8/E

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 91 , May 24, 2013
      On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM, s100doctor <hjohnson@...> wrote:

      Kyle, while you are at it, maybe you can do me a favor also, and make a cable for *me*. David Gesswein, with my assistance, got my 8/F running at the recent MARCh Fix-it last weekend. I too need a RS-232 cable, or at least the connector at the serial end. I have the M8655 board, in fact I now have two of them:

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/herb8/8card_8655_front.jpg
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/8f_herb.html

      which uses apparently the same cabling as your M8650.

      http://www.pdp8.net/serial/index.shtml

      I borrowed David's cable for the repairs, I haven't yet tried to obtain the Berg connector or search my rubble for one. Contact me offline and maybe we can cooperate on this.

      to All: I'll get my photos of my 8/F and 8/E work on my site pretty soon. In another post I'll give a link to the MARCH event photos I have.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com

      Well, that's excellent to hear! Mine seems to be counting the accumulator quite well. I've yet to input any other programs, but I'll get there.

      I went ahead and made a cable tonight. I'm getting a whole bunch of garbage via my terminal emulator, whether the computer is halted or running. I don't have an oscilloscope where I am currently, though I'll be able to use one next Tuesday, most likely.

      I'll see what I can do with another cable. I am looking for a yellow switch for my 8/E, so keep me in mind if you have any spares. :)

      Kyle
      Message 91 of 91 , Jun 6, 2013
        On 06/06/2013 12:54 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > That looks like a nice product, but yes, it's certainly expensive. I've got
        > some FPGA background myself, along with several different microcontrollers,
        > so I may see about creating something that will work with my high-speed paper
        > tape interface. That could be considered an OS/8 storage device, yes?

        OS/8 needs a random-access storage device; paper tape won't do it.
        Magnetic tape drives are *physically* sequential-access, of course, but the
        TU56 (for example) is logically a random-access, block-oriented device. (with
        highly variable latency ;))

        > I would
        > have no idea how to go about writing a driver for it yet, but perhaps it'd be
        > in my best interest to start reading up on the commands for the card and then
        > learn more about OS/8. Do you have any suggestions on recommended reading for
        > this?

        If this was a generally-directed question...The book you want for "most
        things OS/8" is the "OS/8 Handbook". It is excellent. Try to find a paper
        copy if you can, but it's available in PDF on bitsavers:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp8/os8/OS8_Handbook_Apr1974.pdf

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ